Barking Problems.

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emiloupainkiller

Barking Problems.

Post by emiloupainkiller »

Hello everyone, my name is Emily.

I have an 8 year old lab mix. My family and I got her when she was only a few months old. She's relatively a good dog aside from one major problem. Her barking. We always try and tell her "enough" or scream at her to stop, but there's nothing you can really do unless you hold her muzzle shut.

Whenever we walk her or when she's outside on the leash for the bathroom, any dog that walks by she cannot contain herself and she barks like mad.

When people show up, she barks like crazy until they reach the porch.. Or if she's inside she continues to bark until they're in the house. She never jumps on anyone or anything of the sort. The crazy barking is making our family go insane.

Sometimes I come home late at night and my mom is sleeping. I try to get in the door as quickly as I can and try my best not to make noise on the porch just so she won't bark because she'll bark loud and a lot. She'll wake up the entire house.

She's the worst when my mom comes home from work. She barks a lot louder and more whiney than any other time.

How can I stop this? Or minimize her barking?
ms. emi-lou