Dog turned bad since boyfriend left - help!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

meens

Dog turned bad since boyfriend left - help!

Post by meens »

Sorry if this sounds like a problem page but my boyfriend left me and the three dogs a week ago. He'd got Lily, a patterdale x chihuahua cross about 5 weeks ago and back in December we brought Betty home, a terrier from the rescue I volunteer at. I had two elderly chihuahuas, one I sadly lost in August this year and was still grieving for when he brought Lily home. The other chi just turned 16.

Betty had always had issues, being a rescue dog I am sure some people can relate to this. She had no training whatsoever but we taught her the basics, she is a bright dog who wants to learn. But since the boyfriend left she has turned into a total delinquent. I guess she looked to him as the leader and now he has gone she is acting up like nothing else. Running off on walks, going completely deaf when I call her back, running up and barking at other dogs off lead, pulling like a train on the lead and barking in the garden every time she goes out. She just will not listen to me, she goes up to other dog owners I know on walks (men especially) and is good as gold, doing whatever they ask. While I stand there like a total pr*t!

Having the puppy as well is making it doubly hard (I love her but wouldn't have had her given the choice) although at least she comes back when called. However she has a habit of rushing up to other dogs yapping excitedly. Betty sees it as the other dogs going to attack her, so she wades in. And of course she doesn't come back when I call her. But in the house Betty is a different dog and does what I ask. Why is this? Can I do anything for her to see me as boss (other than getting a sex change?!)

I was going to buy a couple of long lines to work on Betty's recall and the pup yapping but can I walk two dogs on two lines? I am prepared to walk them separately but even though I only work part time I don't have unlimited spare time. My whole life just seem to be dogs, dogs, dogs and when they play me up I feel like giving up and letting them go to someone else who they would listen to and be happier with.

Can I get through these difficulties or am I just not cut out for the job?