dog JUST STARTED being aggressive

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

malamutelove

dog JUST STARTED being aggressive

Post by malamutelove »

Hi. I have a 10.5 yr old Alaskan Shepherd (GSD x Mal) *****, Misty, whom I rehomed from a loving family 5 months ago. I also have a 11.5 yr old Mal *****, Sasha. Misty acknowledges Sasha as top dog. Misty was trained as a guard dog by her previous owners, which I didn't realise until after I got her. I've always let Sasha off lead as she's really good with other dogs and has great recall. Misty was the same when I first got her and it was lovely to see both of them running around together.

However, a couple of months ago, Misty started becoming aggressive to other dogs. A couple of times, as soon as she was out of the car, she ran to the nearest dog and bit it, with no provocation. Obviously, I immediately started taking her out on lead but it's gutting for me - I don't know why she's suddenly become like this and it's harder for me to take her out and not let her be able to run free unless there are no other dogs around. I'm assuming it's a protective issue for both myself and Sasha and whilst it's sweet to know she cares that much, it's actually a pain in the backside!

I know Misty will respond well to training but I've no idea how to do this. I really want her to go back to the chilled out, non-reactive dog she was before. Initially, I avoided other dogs completely when taking the girls out but then I thought it would be better for Misty to get used to being around other dogs again in a controlled manner. I'm not sure how effective this is as whilst she's not AS aggressive, she is definitely still reactive although not with EVERY dog. I always take both dogs out together as I don't really have time to take them separately but would obviously do so if necessary.

Can anyone give me advice as to how to get the old Misty back?? I'm open to suggestions tho don't have unlimited resources or time so can't afford training classes or take her out 4 times a day.

Thanks in advance
JudyN

Re: dog JUST STARTED being aggressive

Post by JudyN »

It migth be that when M arrived, she was a little shut down and is now coming out of her shell. However, as with any new unexplained behaviour, it would be worth getting her a full vet check-up to be on the safe side.

Do you know if she's the same when it's just you and her, without S?

If you can find an enclosed safe dog-free area to let her off lead that would be good: there's a list of enclosed dog fields here: https://dogwalkingfields.com/

I think the best approach trainingwise is behaviour adjustment training (BAT): https://www.training-your-dog-and-you.c ... ining.html Have a read of that and see if you think it could help :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

At her age, think management rather than training. She may be in undiscovered pain and so need a wider space around her, or she may be slipping into senility. Hence the importance of a full vet check as JudyN has highlighted, bloods tested for organ function, teeth, ears, eyes, spine, joints, the lot.

It may be that she must not be offlead around other dogs any more. Try taking her out on her own to see if she is less defensive. If that is the case, the issue may well be the health of your other dog. Or even your own.

Has anything changed at home? Small changes make big differences to dogs' security.

Good for you for addressing this now. Be aware you cannot train a dog's feelings. You cannot, through training, make her less insecure and defensive. You can only adapt her environment.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nettle wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:11 amBe aware you cannot train a dog's feelings. You cannot, through training, make her less insecure and defensive. You can only adapt her environment.
Though surely, by repeated exposure to a trigger but at a distance where she is 100% comfortable, and gradually reducing the distance, her feelings about the trigger will change - from 'Eek, a DOGGGGGRRRRRRR' to 'Oh good, a dog, I get a treat,' or 'Meh, a dog, boooooring'? It's similar to working on a phobia in a human, by, for example, starting with a tiny spider in the distance, and increasing size/decreasing distance at a rate the person is OK with - you are in effect training to make then feel less fearful.

I think behaviour adjustment training may be badly named - it should be something like emotional adjustment training, because it's primarily the dog's emotions you're trying to change.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes: the long long programme of desensitising will work in a majority of cases, which I should have clarified. :)

What I was trying to say was more that she might never like the trigger and so rather than aiming for dog-friendly, it's better to go for dog-neutral.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I wanted to tag just a little bit to Nettle's suggestion of management vs training. at this age, with health issues either in play or soon to be, it's not avoiding or ignoring the issue. it actually is a valid solution.

I have just taken on a client with a similar story and while we will be training a couple small alternate behaviors for when other dogs are around, managing thing so this dog doesn't have to deal with random unknown dogs is going to be a significant part of the plan. As well as monitoring health for all the reasons nettle and Judy brought up.

you mentioned classes were not an option, that is ok. From what your share your dog isn't a candidate anyway. no fearful or aggressive dog is. Classes are just not the right place for them.