peeing on bedding

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

peeing on bedding

Post by Shalista »

ah i knew things were going to well. bax's barking has been under control. i found a suspicious wet spot on the blankets next to where he was lying. i thought he was just licking (a behavior hes never shown but his cousin does.) then i literally watched him today stand on top of the blankets he SLEEPS ON all day and just **** a leg. i was so shocked i just sat and watched him do it. thoughts on dogs peeing on bedding? i didnt think they normally did that.....
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
jacksdad

Re: peeing on bedding

Post by jacksdad »

stress increase? health issues?
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

no health issues that im aware of and he actually is seeming like hes finally relaxing for the first time in 3 months

EDIT: I gauge "relaxing" by the fact that i can now poop with the door shut without him losing his marbles. That he no longer really barks and instead comes to me for treats, and spends his mornings and evenings sacked out and snoozing on the futon (that hes now peed on twice) rather then pacing and whining and growling.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

As Jacksdad says, it is normally a stress issue. BUt sometimes the bed or close-to area has been cleaned with something that smells of ammonia, and so he thinks he has to top it up to put his own smell back.

Best things to do:

Check out the ammonia (most cleansing agents contain it) and if it's a possibility, stop using that cleaning product.

Identify the stressor and remove it if possible while increasing the number of things that make Bax happy and relaxed.

Do NOT clean off his wee. It's doing an important job.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Do NOT clean off his wee. It's doing an important job.
like dont wash the bedding? cause that ship has sailed =( tossed both blankets in the wash when i saw him pee.

As for the ammonia im flattered that you think i clean my house like that :lol: :lol: :lol: but no ive yet to use anything other than dish soap in this house.

as to the stress, like i said, to my eyes this is the most relaxed hes ever been. he spends his time snoozing away the day or deconstructing bits of paper into confetti.