friend for bax

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Re: friend for bax

Post by Shalista »

and confirmed, so logn as bax is eating a kong there could be a hundred thumps and he doesnt care. let the fattening begin
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm wondering about low-fat/calorie kongs. If it wasn't too messy you could have frozen chicken broth. Or carrot puree, maybe flavoured with a tiny bit of liver paste? Either way, freezing them would reduce the calories per hour. And have you tried Nylabones, which smell of meat?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

*nodnod* i think i need to buy more kongs so i can keep rotating them from the freezer.

he has a bunch of nylabones but never gives them the time of day. there was a peanut butter oen he stole from his cousin that he LOVED and i got one for him in the mail but idk if he actually LIKED it or just wanted it cause it was HERS.

im so disapointed cause he used to LOVE nylabones and would chew anythign and everything. guess hes not a puppy any more so thats fallen by the wayside =(

he still lieks his fish skins though! he doesnt eat them he just blows them into a bajillion pieces all over my carpet (which im 100% okay with) but it doesnt take him very long to do it :?
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

that's post:

1. chicken thigh (bone in) hammered into a marrow bone, wrapped in newspaper, and put in a box
2. tiny pieces of baked chicken wrapped in newspaper and put in a box
3. peanut butter kong
4. dried fish skin chew

BUT HES ASLEEP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

it's daylight and my dog is asleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

i stuffed him so much and hes so quiiiieeeettttttttttttt. this is sureal. he woke up briefly at a particularly loud thump. growled and barked. the nhe whined at me so i took him on ANOTHER walk, came back in and he passed out again. is this what heaven is like?
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Congratulations! He looks so peaceful in that pic!
Erica

Post by Erica »

Congrats on the chill Bax! :D :D :D

If you want a fun variation on a Kong, Puppies R Us makes a neat silicon "snake" with an empty slit along the length for stuffing. The head does squeak so you may want to stab it, but honestly it's a tough squeaker to squeak so he may not even discover it on accident. I think he could jump on the head and it wouldn't squeak at his size! In the US it's at Petsmart and in the UK it's at B&M.

Here's a pic of Delta with his. It shows the bottom opening well. Del isn't fond of kongs but this is much less smelly (I don't like the rubber smell) and way easier to clean. It can also be frozen. However, it's easier to tear to pieces for very hard, destructive chewers.

A snuffle mat could be a good investment as well, for hiding little nibbles of cooked food in. If you have a 5 Below near you, they have a rug that people have found useful as a snuffle mat for way less $ than most othr options.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

@erica

getting it!
Erica

Post by Erica »

I edited my post a bit while you were posting your reply lol, so check the additions too. :)
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

nope no 5 belows anywhere near me =( i checked online and snuffle mats are pricy. i could make my own buti cant find a store that has a good rubber base for it
Erica

Post by Erica »

For Bax's size, a sink mat could do nicely. I made one from this sink mat from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. They're also available online for pretty decent prices.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

oo thx thats perfect!
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

I can second the snake, its great and really tough. The only issue I've found with it is Merlin gives up when the food gets wedged too far in the slit because it takes quite a push to get it out. I couldn't find a small dog version of it either. Maybe Bax being a terrier will have more tenacity about it!