Hates men

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Hates men

Post by Shalista »

more an oddity than a plea for help. my bro has a Rhodesian ridgeback that's 1+ years old. she's always been very well people socialized and he takes her out all the time to walk in the city where everyone stops to pet her.

she is also solely owned by a man.

apparently she hates men. i just had to spend cumulatively 3 hrs on the road driving her around getting shots and boarding her because my bro is flying to iceland and she apparently did...something... to his dog sitter. My bro says shes "shy", his dog sitter (who's a guy) says he will never dog sit for any dog ever again.....so yeah.... odd? i mean im not sure what else he can do to make her like guys. he takes her out all the time for meet and greets. On the one hand im tempted to say not every dog needs to like every person. on the other hand shes 75 pounds and still growing and if she decides shed REALLY not like someone id hate to be on the other end of the leash.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Re: Hates men

Post by Nettle »

You have posted several times on how your bro treats his dog, so going by those I would think he has been forcing the dog to accept human contact without any idea or care about how the dog feels over that.

Nobody can make anybody, human, animal, bird, whatever, like whatever or whoever they don't like. Nobody can make a creature feel safe when forcing it to accept contact it doesn't want.

We have umpteen gazillion threads on here about how to desensitize, so if bro is serious about helping the dog, he can leave his ego at the gate and start that process. But nobody can make that dog or any dog like what it doesn't like.

One wonders what the dogsitter actually did.....
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

ugh valid point... i forget that not everyone means the same thing when they say they are "socializing" their dog.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Shalista wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:33 pm ... his dog sitter (who's a guy) says he will never dog sit for any dog ever again...
:D sounds like a girl who can make a point! Love her already!

What Nettle said.