Getting dog to sleep on bed

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Getting dog to sleep on bed

Post by Erica »

Friend of mine got a dog a few months back, and he's been sleeping on her bed since. With the warmer weather, he's started sleeping on the floor. Any ideas to encourage him to sleep on the bed again? She feels much safer when he's there.

She's going to put a fan on in her room at night, to cool it down, and I suggested looking into cooling mats to see if any actually work.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Re: Getting dog to sleep on bed

Post by JudyN »

It might need to be on a flat surface as well - not on top of the duvet which might be more squishy.

How about a dog bed raised to the height of her bed, right alongside it? I'm thinking about this type of bed rather than anything soft: https://www.petplanet.co.uk/product.asp ... 7QodH-0Fsw Or on top of a blanket box at the end of the bed, depending on the size of the dog.

Would an air conditioner be more effective, and maybe quieter, than a fan?

Jasper goes right off his memory foam beds when it's hot (and this is only UK hot :wink: ), and also prefers to sleep downstairs. I'm not keen on the idea of persuading a dog to sleep somewhere he's uncomfortable but I'm guessing it's important enough to your friend to try to make this work.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Getting dog to sleep on bed

Post by Nettle »

It would be a lot easier and far more sensible if she changed her expectations instead. She slept without a dog on her bed before she got the dog. She is all about herself and not about the dog's needs. JudyN's suggestion of a raised bed is a great compromise, but if the dog is too hot, then he might well be more comfortable downstairs as the summer progresses.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS