Intact male, no focus! Please help

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kimlie

Intact male, no focus! Please help

Post by Kimlie »

Hi. Simba, my Golden/King Poodle mix is 18 months old.

He is smart, and a really fast learner. We go to multiple classes and train a lot.
He has a bullet proof recall, good loose leash skills and he is a heeling PRO! :)

However, whenever there is a female in heat in the neighborhood, at the classes,
in front of us during walks, or even if we are walking somewhere where a female
as been walking the same day, I completely lose him!

He starts roaming, pulling, freezes and sniffs at certain places. He forgets
everything, and no treat in the world can win him over.

I am trying every day to desensitize him to the smells, using great distance and
engage/disengage training.
I have learned good BAT lead skills, which has worked wonders on his dog
reactivity. But that doesn't seem to help on the smells at all.

Should I neuter him? I don't really want to. I hope I can get some other advice
on effective ways to deal with this. He is not aggressive or fearful or anything.
His behavior is really good, and I love who he is with his drive and energy.

But but the classes are money out the window, and this really delays our
training. Right now there's a female in our neighborhood in heat, 50 meters
down the street, and he's really stressed out about it, panting and even
drooling some.

Kim
emmabeth

Re: Intact male, no focus! Please help

Post by emmabeth »

I wouldn't neuter him yet - because 18 months old, he's not done growing yet.

However when he is, I would, because it sounds like for him, the scent of an in season ***** he can't get to is causing him real distress.

In the meantime you just have to ride it out I think, scratch training whilst you know he's distracted and get on with it when he is up for working with you.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes: see what he is like when he is all grown up. At the moment he is a teenager, slave to his drives and extreme in his responses.

He may become a calm adult when females are on heat, or he may not. That's all in the future.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

That is a very good point, sometimes young uns get driven crazy and then as adults, really aren't bothered. Nettles response has reminded me what my Tibetan Terrier was like when aged 10 months my Deerhound had her second season.

We had singing and howling and bouncing and dribbling and he would hump her every chance he got - fortunately for the world he was UTTERLY convinced that her front leg was the appropriate spot and would grip it and bounce up and down for all he was worth whilst she peered at him all confused.. She went away on holiday for the last fortnight of her season to her breeders house so we could all get some rest!

Now 8 years down the line he sailed through my GBGVs first season, and she was RAMPANT and she was in their faces, flirting and wafting herself about ... it POSSIBLY helped that as a strong minded only ***** from a litter of boys she is also unshakeably convinced that SHE is the one that goes on top and humps and tried this with both the young boy dogs and so gave both a sound telling off when they tried to throw a paw over her back and then huumped them furiously (only the once each, then they learned to get out of her way).

He is now neutered and has been for a few years but he was entire up to 5 years old and I doubt its that which has changed his attitude far more likely it is his age and maturity!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Kimlie

Post by Kimlie »

Thanks for the answers, I will try to manage as good as I can and evaluate when he is fully grown. :D