Rescuing for newbies

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ocelot0411

Rescuing for newbies

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Me again

Think I am going to be on here a lot over the next few weeks!

So as the title suggests, I have never had a rescue before and as such would appreciate any tips or advice from all of you that have. Basically my plan for the first couple of weeks (which I have booked of work so I can be with her all the time) is just to let her settle in and to spend quality time together.

I will be puppy proofing, although its a long time since I needed to keep things out of harm's way so I am bound to get caught out somewhere :lol: I am fully aware that there will be house training issues / adjustments etc which is not a problem at all, nor is the fact that she is likely to get cheeky once she is settled and start trying to eat me! I have survived this before :roll:

But anything else that I might not be expecting? If you had the benefit of hindsight what advice would you give someone?

Thanks folks - oh and I have a training class lined up to commence in early May.
Erica

Re: Rescuing for newbies

Post by Erica »

It's great that you have time off of work to spend with her! I would make sure you practice leaving her alone for gradually increasing periods of time -- head off any separation anxiety. "Before and After You Get Your Puppy" by Ian Dunbar is also applicable to adult adoptees. They're available as free .pdfs online! They go over a lot of good things to keep in mind.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14