Silly little tip

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Silly little tip

Post by Shalista »

Just discovered this today and i feel like such an idiot for only thinking of it now. Bax has a super long leash that we use when we're going through the woods and field and when we practice recall but he gets a little silly when he's on his long lead. all that independence goes to his head :roll: so sometimes i loop up the long lead and then pinch it at about the six foot mark if we're just going out for a potty. well the leash accidentally got knotted and i was going to unknot it when i realized it was about the 6ft mark! So now i can let him roam free on the long lead but if we're walking along the road or i need to focus a little better i can just gather it to the knot and hold onto the knot like a handle and BOOM perfect six foot leash.

.... idk i felt smug :oops:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Silly little tip

Post by Erica »

Ooh, not a bad idea! I've tied a knot 10 feet from the handle end of my 50 ft line, so if I'm letting a dog do a recall in class I know when I'm about to run out of leash and I should just hold on and run with them :lol: But the 6' marker is something I should do with Delta's 15' leash...
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Knots in leads annoy me, just because they do. So I would stitch leather 'rein stops' (just strips of leather) to a lead if I needed a marker.

If it works for you though it's a good idea! :)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

I did the same thing for Piper's very long leash that I used when we lived at the beach. The knots also gave me more "grip" when the lead got wet (her beach leash was made of braided nylon, so it could get slick when wet). I loved it!
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11