moving

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

moving

Post by Shalista »

It's official! i got the job! so I'm definitely going to be moving 2 hrs away. i start work mid july but i'll obviously be moving sooner than that.

I'm going to be prioritizing car desensitization (not that i really think it will help but i have to do SOMETHING)

I'm also going to pull out the dehydrator and try to make some homemade chews to give bax something delicious to gnaw while i run around packing

and of course potty training is an absolute MUST now. I'm aiming for perfection on pottying by the time i move.

tips and tricks to minimize doggy stress during the move? Any thoughts about things i should be working on to keep bax comfy with all the stress of the move?

(DISCLAIMER - i haven't even STARTED looking for places yet so i dont know square footage or what the backyard will look like. I literally got offered the job 4 hours ago)
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: moving

Post by JudyN »

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Can I be nosy and ask you what the job is?

There's another thread about house moving with a dog... I'll hunt it down in a mo... But what I would say is don't get too hung up on toilet training. You've tried so hard up till now that your chances of getting it sorted before the move aren't great. But I wouldn't be surprised if when you move to your new place, without all the stresses of home, Bax will be much more receptive to training. Just treat him like a puppy at first.

And maybe try to find somewhere with moppable floors.... :wink:

Here you go - have a read-through these threads:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17405&p=128290&hili ... se#p128290

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15993&p=115420&hili ... se#p115420

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15774&p=113358&hil ... se#p113358

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=13853&p=96360&hili ... use#p96360
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

thanks for the link list! and good point on the potty training!

I'm finally graduating school in the next couple months so i just started job searching. this is actually my first job i applied to and its litterally my dream job in my dream location :D

It's for Physical Therapist Assistant work, so what i got my degree in. Basically we do all the fun stuff for physical therapy. while physical therapists are stuck evaluating we get to do the actual treatments :P So doing manual stuff like stretching, PNF techniques, mobilizations, and then we guide, observe and instruct for exercises and do modalities like E-stim and ultrasound.... so, fun stuff =)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That sounds brilliant - I hope it all goes well for you.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Terrific job. Congrats!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

im excited for bax, no more worrying about Ki =)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Great news - so pleased for you :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS