To much puppy

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

To much puppy

Post by Shalista »

So I don't know if this is just to rant or if i'm actually looking for advice but I need some help.

You know that Bax has issues with other dogs. He's very possessive of me and he's very guardy of food and a little bit of toys.

My brother has a 13 month old, 78 pound, Rhodesian ridgeback puppy that just LOVES to play. if a dog isnt playing with her she will stand and bark at it until it moves and she can pounce on it. I think you can already start to see where I'm going with this.....

Before i start i will say progress has been made. Bax actually seems to enjoy meeting her when she comes in the door. He'll play and wander off and then come back to initiate play again. Unfortunately she is just entirely to much dog for him. they played for a couple of hours straight bouncing around, dragging each other around by toys, doing big open mouthed nomnomnoming on each other with play bows. it all looked like good fun and everyones body language seemed (to my untrained eye) good.

and then Bax got tired. He wasn't interested in playing anymore. in fact, frankly, he didn't even want to look at her. she followed him from room to room hounding him. i saw he was getting stressed so i went into our room and he immediately flopped in front of his heater. even here he didn't get peace. she stood in the doorway (he has made his boundaries VERY clear and she Does. Not. Enter HIS room.) and barked at him while he lay there. i got up, shut the door, and STILL she barked at him.

i got yelled at so i was forced to leave the room and poor bax trotted dutifully out at my side looking just so woeful and angry and exhausted all at once. I sat in a chair and bax hopped right into my lap (something he VERY rarely does) and she came over and started nuzzling at him. He peeled his lips back, barred his teeth at her, and snarled. then he did a few air snaps. she didn't care. Her owner called her away but she kept coming back and every time he'd snark at her.

i got up and locked bax in his room with a kong hoping for some peace but then HE started barking because he was locked away from me. i got yelled at AGAIN so i was forced to let him out.

sat down again and he curled up in my lap just smushed as tightly against me as he could. i felt like he was clinging to me for dear life. and this great bouncing behemoth of a puppy kept bounding up to paw at him. finally her owner called her over and made her lay next to him in the couch and bax, bless his furry little heart, fell asleep almost instantly. he snoozed for about half an hr in this tightly coiled little ball before the puppy and her owner left.

So yes.... half rant... half plea for help. i cant lock him in the room by himself, he barks, and i cant lock myself in there (i get yelled at) but he badly needs a respite from this puppy. i think they get along great for the first few hours but frankly shes exhausting and im a HUMAN dealing with her, i cant imagine what its like for bax constantly being harassed to play. her owner is the type to say "they just need to figure it out" but frankly i think bax is well within his rights to snark at her and id prefer she didn't harass him. she BADLY needs some manners and after a few more visits like this i really do think Bax is going to take her to school and teach her that 'no' really means 'NO'.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Re: To much puppy

Post by JudyN »

Shalista, can I ask how old you are? Why are your family so insistent you have to be with your relations all the time, and are you old enough that you can just say 'No - I make my own decisions''?

I would try to sit your family down at a time when they're receptive and explain to them why it is unfair to subject Bax to this enormous bouncy pup for so long. You could explain that 'in the wild' dogs would all be the same size, and would have had far more opportunities when young to be taught good manners - this RR hasn't learnt manners at all. Then, next time, I'd stay with your family for as long as Bax is happy (I think a couple of hours is awesome) and then go to your room, or for a walk or whatever. Be firm, and reply politely and calmly to their yelling. What are they going to do, throw you out?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

If RR puppy doesn't live there and comes to visit - taking her out for a good, long, interesting, sniffy walk before she comes over may be a thing to try. For the brother, of course...

At 13 months it's not very reasonable to expect her to behave and show perfect manners, this is the worst age - a crazy rebellious teenager..., need to manage.

I would mention that if she keeps getting away with annoying Bax now - she may become quite a challenge later on.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

JudyN wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:02 am Shalista, can I ask how old you are? Why are your family so insistent you have to be with your relations all the time, and are you old enough that you can just say 'No - I make my own decisions''?
family situation is... complicated..... no that is not an option. :(
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13