Recall Question

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Recall Question

Post by Erica »

Delta's got a pretty good recall and I've never had a problem with it until just recently. There's one dog that we've bumped into twice now. First time he blew me off to greet her I went back to basics -- long lines, great rewards for recalls (his FAVORITE toys), practicing around other dogs. Got to the point where his recall was even better than before and he'll recall away from various other dogs.

But we saw that same dog again -- a moderately stand-offish little beagle -- and he did the same thing. I don't think the owner will practice with me and Delta finds the 50 foot long line cumbersome so I'm gonna get a 15 foot one -- I should be able to get close enough to step on it even when he sees her. I'm just really confused, as he'd never met this dog before, she wasn't very friendly, and it's just this one dog he's wanting to greet. I don't remember exactly how long ago the last time was but I don't think she could have been in heat then and now as well.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
emmabeth

Re: Recall Question

Post by emmabeth »

Love at first sight?

What long line do you use - I have switched to Biothane which is pretty light and being non-absorbent andwipe clean, does not get heavy and wet and mucky!

Maybe some more impulse control work to remind him that waiting and doing what you want means he can do what he wants - but thats probably only gonna be useful if hes allowed to greet this dog after he did as he was asked - if by that time the owner has gone away, hmm.

Is there an issue with him greeting this one dog? Could you give him an 'ok go say hi' cue BEFORE he decides to blow you off and therefore, you don't damage his otherwise excellent recall?
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Erica

Re: Recall Question

Post by Erica »

She would rather Delta did not go up to meet her! No danger but a couple barks when he approaches, then very neutral, slight avoidance body language and zero interest in this big exuberant boy. (To his credit, Delta then stands calmly to sniff, but still -- she wants him to stay away.)

I'll have to get a biothane line. I've heard excellent reviews -- haven't needed one particularly but now I guess I will! And yeah, we should go back to practicing impulse control everywhere.

This time we were two hours late with walks (oops) so maybe they walk at that time? I'll have to keep my eyes open. I was on high alert for a couple weeks after the first one but this time caught me by surprise.

I think I'll also have to remember to make sure he gets out and sees dogs in the winter. We don't often see them in the woods so it's a bit of an exciting event.

Delta also is a pest when I'm carrying a toy on walks -- constant bouncing and poking me to remind me that I have it in my pocket. Any ideas other than just carrying it all the time so it's not a predictor of playtime? I can do that, but Delta is a wee bit toy obsessed and it wears on my patience. I can't find a middle ground between "same level as treats" and "brain-turns-off exciting" lol.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14