HELP -rescued a deaf dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lmpandola

HELP -rescued a deaf dog

Post by lmpandola »

Hello,
I am new to this forum and in dire need of advice. I rescued a 4 year old deaf dog.
He's been in my home for 10 days. We are working on hand signals, going well.
When he's good, he great! BUT then he gets random burts of craziness and NOTHING catches his attention to redirect. He then gets mouthy and nippy, not full force bite but it hurts. I also have another dog who is 5. The new rescue wants to play but, again, can be rough. He also has major separation anxiety. I am TRYNING to make this work and not get overly 😩 . ANY advice, information or comments on HOW TO calm him or get his attention in psycho mode would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate your time...
emmabeth

Re: HELP -rescued a deaf dog

Post by emmabeth »

Hey,

Welcome to the forums, I have (or I will have in a second) moved your post to the Advice section of the forum...

10 days is no time at all so stay calm - keep things as calm and steady as possible so, dont leave him alone, dont have a ton of people over (in fact only have over the people you HAVE to have over, everyone else can wait!).

The random bursts of crazy are likely because he is full of stressa nd anxiety, doesnt know how to communicate and doesnt know how your home 'works'.

Try and stop them happening before they actually happen rather than once hes already started - if its too late just clear the decks and let him get it out of his system.

Spend time just teaching him to look at you, and simple things like targeting your hand iwth his nose in return for a treat. Use a thumbs up sign as his 'marker' instead of a clicker.

The more you teach him, and the steadier you can keep things the faster he is going to settle and not need to have these outbursts.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant