Walking my reactive staffy.

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

alice

Walking my reactive staffy.

Post by alice »

Hello
Fagin is a three year old staffy from a rescue centre, I was told his owner was moving house. He gets on fine with my sisters beagle, although Fagin is the dominant one but at first had be told not to be so rough with Duke. They walk together fine now. However when out walking alone with Fagin he is very reactive to other dogs, he yaps (he can't bark very well), pulls but there is no growling or raised hackles. I have tried a food reward to distract him but he is too interested in the other dog, he also does not play with toys. If he comes across a dog off the lead that comes up to him I can hear his jaws snap at it but he has never made contact. If anyone has any advise it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Alice
Nettle

Re: Walking my reactive staffy.

Post by Nettle »

Staffords love people, don't care for other dogs. Nothing you can do except be aware of it and enjoy him for what he is - a wonderful companion to you - and don't allow him to get into other dogs' space. Be careful with his interaction with your sister's dog.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
alice

Post by alice »

Hello
Thank you for your reply. I need help on gaining his attention and walking calmly past another dog. At the moment he just ignores me, treats and toys.

Alice
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Don't worry about gaining his attention in scenarios where something else is more compelling - just march him past on a short lead with your own body between him and the other dog. When he reacts it's telling you that you are too close to the trigger. It takes practice but you'll get there.

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

In addition to Nettle's comments, get a feel for how far away you have to be from the other dog for your dog to be able to be calm. Then, aim not to go closer to another dog than that, but treat and praise him when there's another dog in the distance and he focuses on you. You want him to get to the point when he spots another dog - at a distance he's comfortable with - and looks towards you in expectation (and gets his reward). When he's sussed that out, you can, very gradually, reduce the distance.

Some Staffies I know are perfectly comfortable with other dogs - it will depend on the individual dog just how much progress you can make in the long term.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
alice

Post by alice »

Hello
Thank you for your advise. I have another question for you. Being a rescue dog I don't know much about his history. Inside the house he is a well-behaved dog, listens well and responds to treats and praise. However out on walk I can only describe him as wired, he is on high alert and not very responsive to commands and treats, he is like this even when people or dogs are no where to be seen. I don't think he had ever seen, horses, chickens or sheep before and doesn't like cars over about 30 miles an hour. He pulls on the lead quite bad which leads me to think he was hardly or never walked, could this be possible?

Kind regards
Alice
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, highly likely. But don't dwell on the past because you can't change it. The more your dog goes on quiet unremarkable walks, the more he'll learn to trust you and the less exciting outdoors will become. It takes time, lots of time, so be relaxed about it. Don't set yourself time goals, just take every day every walk one at a time.