Potty training question.............

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sar-83

Potty training question.............

Post by sar-83 »

We just got an 8 week old male springer spaniel and we are having issues with potty training. We have gotten into the habit of taking him outside every hour on the hour. We take him out and usually he will always pee. Lately when we bring him back in the house he almost immediately pees again, on the rug or just on the floor. Are we doing something wrong, are we missing something or is it just him being a puppy?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

If bringing him back into the house triggers him to pee again almost immediately.... then bring him inside..... and then immediately go back outside! Then the second pee should occur out doors and you can reward him for doing it in the right place.

Very common thing in puppies, the 'double whammy pee'...
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

emmabeths suggestion is really good, also PRAISE when he does it outdoors, have a little play session, snuggle, treats, fuss or what makes HIM happy puppy. A LOT OF IT...

Then when he does it indoors he gets NOTHING, this will hopefully help him to rather pee outdoors too. If you combo this with emmabeth's it should help rather soon.

HOWEVER, the blatter function will not developfully yet for a few months...
Enjoy you have a puppy ;)
The problem is in the other end of the leash!
Chloe&Atlas'smom

Post by Chloe&Atlas'smom »

I have a 11 week old APBT and he does the same thing!! I do take him back outside and we play outside for an hour and he gets walks, He still pees inside no matter how many times I take him or for how long. I know its just puppies I get it, for now the kitchen is the puppy playground because it would be a lot harder to clean up on the carpet. Did any of that make sense? :oops:
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Sure both make sense. You have adog that is not physically capable holding its bladder. If you cannot watch your pups like a hawk to take them outside, restrict their access where messes are not so unpleseant to clean up.
Chloe&Atlas'smom

Whew, I thought I was doing it right. I want everyone to know that I probably have one of the cleanest kitchen floors because of Atlas. It gets mopped everytime he has a accident and with bleach and that stuff, Natures Miracle. Don't know if it works but Chloe hasn't had a problem in the house since the first week she was home.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Bleach actually invites animals to wee where its used.
Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom »

swap the bleach for white distilled vinegar or a commercial cleaner.
~* Proud Mommy of a Mix Breed *~
[url=http://www.myspace.com/mollymae2004]Molly's Myspace Page[/url]
"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either." - Unknown
Chloe&Atlas'smom

Thanks didn't know that about bleach.
Missymay

Post by Missymay »

I've seen the bleach warning before.

I understand why ammonia would have that effect. Urea breaks down into ammonia so using ammonia would indicate to an animal that this was an appropriate place to go.

Can anyone tell me the why of bleach. I genuinely am curious and just don't know.
Kim and Asher

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotionâ€
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Odor...Just about anything with a strong smell have seen tend to attract soiling.