Anxiety

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Louis

Anxiety

Post by Louis »

Hi there
I am in need of some advice on my new boy Louis. Louis is a show cocker spaniel who is nearly 3 years old. He is from a rescue centre for Springers and cockers and we got him on 1st October 2016.
I decided to get another dog as my other two, 14 year old springer and 10 year old Lurcher are getting on and I couldn't bear the thought of a gap between.
Louis came from a broken home and was kennelled. He was advertised as being deaf, submissive and loved to travel in the car. Actually none of the above were true. Although Louis is a gorgeous boy, he is completely full of anxiety which we are working on. He is food aggressive with the other dogs but I have overcome this by feeding them all separately. He bullies our old lady Lurcher and has a go at her if she enters his space and lastly but probably the hardest this is louis goes mad when someone leaves the house. He is fine if I go but almost chases my husband and grown up son out. He barks aggressively at them. I have been putting him on a lead and walking out with them which works well but isn't always convenient. I have put Louis on rescue remedy which has helped a lot, however I really need help with tips on how to sort this behaviour out. I can't leave treats for him as he will fight with the other dogs. We all love him dearly but need to work with him on his anxiety. Louis is walked twice a day and we have taken some tips from a behaviourist. We are also about to move to a farm where Louis can run everyday (we are currently in a town). However the farm is surrounded by horses so Louis also needs some training with that. Any advice gratefully received.
JudyN

Re: Anxiety

Post by JudyN »

I'm copying Annabellam's original response in here - I did try to move it, but as it was older than your opening post in this thread it appeared above it which was a little confusing!
Annabellam wrote:Welcome to the forum. You did a really good thing getting Louis from a rescue center. Separation anxiety is common and especially if there has been changes with the environment, family, schedule and family members. Having come from a rescue it is understandable because he's probably now used to the love you guys are giving him. Plenty of mental and physical stimulation is a good way of treating separation anxiety and it is good to hear that you will be moving to a farm.You could also try desensitization and counter conditioning with the help of a behaviorist. what it entails is first teaching your dog that the cues it has been reading, picking up keys and everything don't always mean that. From that you could move to graduated departures slowly increasing the time and distance. And of cause there is crating. Your dog needs to know that it can chill there even when you are around. It has to be a safe space. There is so much and a certified behaviorist would definitely help you.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

There's also a thread on separation anxiety here, which may help: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20143

Also, could you give a detailed run-down of his day, please? How often he's left, how long the walks are (on or off lead?), when and where he's fed. What do you feed him (brand and variety)?

Also, how does he show his anxiety in ways other than what you've described? What's he like on walks?

I would work on general recall and maybe impulse control in preparation for your move to the country. If you can find some horses or even cattle before then, even better. I would walk him past them on lead, at a distance, giving him treats when he focuses on you, not the animals. You always need to know you can get him back to you before he's so interested he has to go & investigate them - but hopefully others can give you more info on this, and your other issues.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Louis

Post by Louis »

Ps. Louis is perfect on walks. Meets and greets people and dogs very well. Off the lead, he would probably run for it !
Louis is walked twice a day mostly on his own. He is fed Lily's kitchen breakfast and dinner. I can cope with most of his behaviour but the two concerns which I really need tips for are; barking aggressively at mostly my husband and grown up son when they leave the house. He is fine if I leave and he is left alone. Apparently he is also ok if I'm not at home. Secondly having a go at my old Lurcher, especially at night when she goes in the garden. She has become too scared to come down stairs. Although I do think it is anxiety, he is not anxious In any other way, and comes across a very confident little dog. Any tips please