Dog refuse to leave a car or go home

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Janca

Dog refuse to leave a car or go home

Post by Janca »

Hi guys. I need a bit of advice. I am a dog walker and recently started having issue with one of my dog. Springerspaniel. When we go out he is happy, greeting me, running about and going anywhere and get on with anyone. Recently however when we get back home he goes flat on floor refusing to leave the car. If we are walking he stops before the drive to his house and shuts down. I learned that previous dog walker they had had the same problem and they used to carry him home acording to the owner. So he has learend this behaviour previously. I walk him for a year now and everything was fine until past month he just completely shuts down and not responding. He has actually got worse in point tht he growls and started showing teeth threatening to bite. I dont want to force him unfortunately I am limited by time. He does not respond to treats or toys. If I crouch down he does cuddle next to me but thats about it. Other problem is that he has a brother and it is not fer on the other one not to go for walk or just stand there. If they are in the car and I just lift him out of the car then he will go in but if we are walking he stops way before the house. Not sure what. To do. Please any advice would be great
JudyN

Re: Dog refuse to leave a car or go home

Post by JudyN »

Are the owners out when you collect him and when he returns? How long is he left for before and after your visit? It would be useful to have a recording of what he does when left alone - whether he seems distressed or relaxed. This could simply be a case of separation anxiety.

One option might be to make sure he's a little hungry at the end of the walk (reduced breakfast?) and then give him a tasty treat or small meal (very small as it's not great to feed straight after exercise) when you get back from the walk. But the first step is to try to establish why he's so worried about going back home.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Can you please clarify - is it his own home he doesn't want to go back into? Is he willing to get out of your car for his walk?

Let us know more about the 'brother' - is he a litter brother or another dog that lives in the house? If a different dog, full details please. Do they travel crated separately? Are there other dogs involved? Something is happening that is spooking him, and it may be the other dog threatening him in subtle ways, or something that upsets him in the home, or maybe static shock from the car or in the home doorway.

The more we know the more we can help.

Do you know why the other dog walker stopped walking him? Might be worth you getting in touch with him/her.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Annabellam

Post by Annabellam »

If he doesent want to go back home i am thinking it could be that the other dog is threatening or attacking, it faces separation anxiety if the owner is never around and the other dog is not friendly or, which i highly doubt it is not being treated as it should be at home. Would also love to know more, like how's the relationship with the owner and the other dog?
Janca

Post by Janca »

Thank you for the response.
Yes. The owners are out when I colect them and return them. They are ussually out from 9am till around 4-5pm. I take them out from around 11 for an hour. It crossed my mind that he just does not want to be left. He likes when attention is all on him. With me or the owners. I can try and ask for permition to do some recording. At the moment when we get in the house..eventually we go from front door to a large utility room where coats and shoes are and where I ussually towel them dry, then in the kitchen from where they are free to the rest of the house. Now he just lie on floor there in the utility room and wont go in. I do not force him so I just leave the door open to let him go in when ready. They get fed once meal in the evening and they are not much for treats. But I can try to ask the owners to leave a small amount from his dinner out if that would help.
It is his own home he does not want to go to and he is not willing to leave my car after walks. His "brother" is a sprokerspaniel. Another companion in the house. He is much more calmer and setteled. He gets on with everyone and would never attack or bully. They have big respect for each other and never invade each other's space. They are only 1y apart in age. Sroker is younger. They travel together in one big crate. Other dogs are involved out on the walks. Then droed off ussually alone.He never had a threat from another dog. But he did threathened one on one occasion when I tryed to dropped them off and pickup another in different location in intention to walk to their house. Rather then driving in as he might thought he is not going home but for walk. The other dog apeared neer the car and he shwed teeth and groweled . This was when I have done it second time. He knew by then. Other dog walker stopped for different reasons. They gave up the area.
Janca

Post by Janca »

They are both very loved by the owners. Nice and kind people. Love them both the same. The springer is however known to be attention seeker a bit more. The sproker is more independenent