Older dog humping puppy

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sez_R

Older dog humping puppy

Post by Sez_R »

Hi there,
I have a 7year old male collie x lab named Charlie and a female 3month old springer x german shepherd named Daisy.
Daisy only joined our household a week ago.

Daisy has settled in well and the two dogs are playing together happily for the most part. However, after playing for a while, Charlie will start to try and hump Daisy. He knows the 'leave it' command and will leave her momentarily when asked, but once he starts he will keep going back to her and trying again.
More than anything I am worried he will hurt her as she is still small compared to him
Please, can someone advise how best to manage this?

Nettle

Re: Older dog humping puppy

Post by Nettle »

You are right to be concerned as he can both hurt and frighten her.

It's one of those things you manage just the same way you would as if a small child was bullying another.

The instant he gets That look - before his front legs even leave the ground - take him out for a thirty second time out. Let him back in - if he humps he goes straight out again. Rinse and repeat. At first it will seem like an exercise in perpetual motion, but he'll get the idea as long as he is never ever allowed to do this. It's good for him, too, because if he were to try this with a strange dog he met out on a walk, he might well get hurt by it.

Be aware that she will come on heat sometime in her first year, and even if he has been castrated, he can mate and tie with her, which has the potential for serious injury.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sez_R

Post by Sez_R »

Thanks Nettle.

I will try that. He seems better today already after an extra long walk :)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Great news! A lot of dog behaviour issues can be helped by a good long walk.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS