Food schedules and aggressiveness

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

alexhdragon22

Food schedules and aggressiveness

Post by alexhdragon22 »

Hi everyone, i´m 21, from portugal,
some people here told me that giving my dog too many rules will make her agressive and that giving her food on schedules will also make her agressive with time. But to me this doesn't make any sense. They say dogs should have free acess to food at any times, even though i don´t want to do that, I think it´s wrong and I like to give her food on schedule because of training too (I´m clicker training). Still, I would like to know your advice. Does this make any sense to you or you think it´s stupid like me?
But they also say I should beat my dog and I think that´s horrible and totally wrong, specially with clicker training there´s no need or point to it... They say she wont respect me if don´t show who´s boss but I think that´s wrong, she answers my commands just fine, everytime, so... I don´t want her to be afraid of me, I want her to trust me all the time.
JudyN

Re: Food schedules and aggressiveness

Post by JudyN »

Your instincts are right all the way... free-feeding a dog is likely to make her more stressed, as there's always something to 'guard', or at least have in the back of her mind. Plus many dogs would end up the shape of a hippo! Feeding to a schedule means she can relax, knowing when her food will arrive. My dog is much more stressed when he thinks food might be available than if he knows he's not due to eat till the next mealtime.

As for beating your dog... what 'boss' would you respect, trust, and work best for - one who beats you and yells at you, or one who was friendly, encouraging, rewarded you when you did well, and helped you understand when you didn't?

Plus, punitive methods can be downright dangerous. At some point, any stressed, scared dog may turn and attack rather than cowering.

Follow your instincts. Avoid getting into too much discussion with those who think differently, because chances are, you'll get nowhere and they may sow a seed of doubt in your mind. Let your dog's good behaviour and happy demeanour do your speaking for you :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
MandaS

Re: Food schedules and aggressiveness

Post by MandaS »

Sadly there are still people out there who believe a dog (or any animal for that matter) should do exactly what they say just because they say so and beating, bullying and scaring the animal into submission is how it's done. No relationship should ever be built on fear, whether it's human to human, human to animal or animal to animal. Respect, motivation, reward and love is what builds a good relationship, so you are right in what you think.

Manda
Motivation & Reward stops dogs getting bored :)