Stressed on walks.

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

NannyMcPawz

Stressed on walks.

Post by NannyMcPawz »

Hi.

This is my first post on here so Hello :)

I run a pet sitting business and I have a large amount of knowledge of dogs, behavior and training but this is a difficult one. I have one client that comes to stay sometimes. She is a young Sussex Spaniel. Rescued from Romania I think it was. She is wonderful indoors. Happy, reasonably relaxed but very active, playful and gets on with everyone. Put a lead on her and we have a totally different dog.
She will practically walk on her hind legs whilst pulling on the lead. She is very stressed and anxious. Very erratic and if given a bit of lead will try to circle around you zigzagging in every direction often whimpering and whining. I only have her with me a day or two here or there so there is not much time to work with her. She has a dog walker during the weeks that works on calm relaxed lead walks. If she is let of lead we would probably never see her again.

It is impossible to work with her when she is in this state as she will not listen or focus. All her attentions is on going forward as fast as possible.

I have advised the owners to work on her being calm before putting the lead on and going through the door and to stop the activity every time she starts to stress and when she is calm to try again etc.... I have also suggester to try Rescue remedy and Ttouch massage and a Ttouch body wrap (obviously not all at once) and see if they can calm her.

They are first time owners and they are "learning on the job". They love her to bits and really want to try to solve this as she is a nightmare to take out. They have only just started to work on this as they had no clue what to do before I met them so it is work in progress :)

If anyone has any ideas I haven't thought about I would love to hear them.

Thanks for reading.

Cam :)
Erica

Re: Stressed on walks.

Post by Erica »

I would say to stop full-length walks while you deal with this - replace the exercise and stimulation with training and games in places she feels comfortable (in the house or, if they have one, a fenced yard). Condition the dog to be happy about having the leash put on, then start with just opening the door and counter conditioning that, then take a step out the door and hang out on the doorstep for a while, then walk six feet and go back home...slow slow increases with lots of good experiences. It sounds like, in the state she's in, a walk is not a good experience for her, and every walk she has is only making them more worrisome. If leashes are unavoidable (eg they don't have a fenced area to take her into for potty breaks) I may suggest having them ask their vet if they think medication is suitable - every frantic experience is only strengthening that connection and the sooner it's interrupted the better.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Just to add that it is highly unlikely she is a Sussex spaniel - they are extremely rare, very expensive, and there are only around thirty registered each year, often fewer. Knowing a dog's breed/mix is very helpful when training, so it is useful if the owners realise that she isn't what they have been told.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MandaS

Post by MandaS »

Hi, I'm new here too.

I agree with the others and wanted to add my thoughts.

Have you thought about trying a Makuti or other front connecting harness? They are great for dogs who pull and also those who feel uncomfortable about being restricted when out for a walk.

Does she have a friend who is calm and won't be over excited or fearful of anything that she feels comfortable with? Try short walks with the other dog praising and rewarding every few steps. Hopefully she will take her cue from the other dog and if food motivated, start to look for the treat instead of worrying.

Manda
Motivation & Reward stops dogs getting bored :)