walking dogs with opposite personalities

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Persephone

walking dogs with opposite personalities

Post by Persephone »

I need some help with an embarrassing behavior that's developed in the last year. I own two dogs, a male husky mix who is 9 years old and a female mini Australian shepherd who's 10, they're both fixed and overall healthy. They get along beautifully in our apartment, they don't really play much any more but when they do my husky is very gentle with the little one and lets her steer the length and intensity of play. Once we're outside this all changes though.

My husky LOVES other dogs and gets really excited whenever another one is approaching us on walks. When he's allowed to say hello everything is fine but if he's forced to walk on by he gets very overly excited and tries frantically to pull towards them. The Aussie has developed a strong dislike over the past few years for dogs she doesn't already know, she gets nervous and barks a lot if they come too close to her. It's weird because she used to be fine with strange dogs and would nicely greet them, I don't really know what changed or why but it's just gotten worse and worse. Because of her fears the husky only gets to greet other dogs when both my husband and I are walking them. To make matters worse we live in a very crowded area and next to a park, so there's always lots of other dogs right outside our door, they really cannot be avoided.

Most of the time I manage by just being super aware and giving enough distance between myself and other dogs to minimize both of their reactions. When we walk by without incident I give lots of praise. On rare occasion though my husky will lunge towards my Aussie, knocking her over, and she'll completely lose it, it sounds like a full blown dog fight is occurring. She'll fling around furiously and growl and bark, it sounds horrible, but once it's all over no one is actually hurt. And the Husky doesn't stop harassing her and knocking her over until I physically pull them apart which isn't like him at all. For example, when they're playing inside the apartment he'll immediately stop what he was doing if she yelps, growls, or seems distressed.

It all happens so quickly that it's hard for me to really judge what exactly is going on. I have a few theories though: 1. That my husky is so frustrated that he can't go to the other dog that he's "attacking" her because he's overwhelmed. Kind of like redirected aggression but with no biting involved. 2. That he wants to get her to stop barking at the new dog, so he checks her, which just makes her louder which in turn escalates his response. 3. He gets overexcited and tries to get her to play with him, because he's frustrated he ignores her obvious distress cues.

Right now, I'm pretty sure number 2 is the reason, as the most recent spat was actually at very close distance, so it seems like he was afraid she'd scare away his new friend. People look horrified when this happens and I feel completely mortified. This last time was precipitated by my neighbors dog and I'm afraid they'll think my dogs are somehow dangerous. I have no idea how to fix this, especially because it happens fairly infrequently and with very little warning. There's no obvious cues that this time it's going to happen so it always catches me by surprise. I also know it's really reinforcing my aussie's fears of other dogs, I feel awful about it.

In the past I've tried using food as a distraction as we pass by but it didn't work at all. The husky would either ignore it or snatch it while still focusing completely on the new dog. I'm pretty much out of ideas. Help!
Erica

Re: walking dogs with opposite personalities

Post by Erica »

Walking them separately is going to be the best way to deal with this - whether it's with two people or if one person walks one dog, then the other. I know schedules are busy, but a 15 minute walk where you are able to train the dog with you is going to be better than a 30 minute walk where both dogs are frustrated and unsettled!

Funnily enough, while the dogs have different emotions causing their reactions, I think the same "game" will work for both. It's called Look At That and is very popular. For it to work, you need to be at a distance where your dog can see the other dog, but not so close that your dog can't look away. First, you'll need to to condition a marker word (video here). You can also use a clicker if you like; however, when you're on a walk, you want to be ready to train at any time.

Once they know that "yes" (or whatever word you're using) means a treat is coming, you can start playing the game. Again, you need to be far enough away that the dog you're training isn't overwhelmed, but close enough that they know it's there. Whenever your dog looks AWAY from you towards the dog, immediately give the marker word. They are likely to turn their head back to you to get their treat. If they don't, they are likely too close - try to give them the treat anyways (because "yes!" always means a treat) and move away, then try again. This will teach your husky that he can look at dogs and still keep his attention on you, and your Aussie learns she can look at other dogs and will be safe. Curiously enough, once dogs get the game, they stop looking at the thing and may just move their head slightly while keeping an eye on you, or turn an ear towards the other dog - you can still reward that! They are choosing to pay attention to you over an environment they once were overwhelmed in.

Keeping at the right distance is key - there is no training that can help if you are too close to the other dogs. It can be difficult, for sure, and you might have to walk at a different time to find the right density of dogs, but if you stick with it it will help :)

I know it will sound cruel, but I would suggest to just never let your husky greet another dog when he's on leash. If he loves other dogs, try to find some to have playdates with in a yard or the (normally abandoned) small dog section of the dog park. If you let him greet the others sometimes, but not others, he will become frustrated and confused.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Persephone

Re: walking dogs with opposite personalities

Post by Persephone »

Thank you for the reply. I have one question about the look at that game. My husky locks in on things on walks, especially dogs, and will not look away. So, he's already looking at the other dog. In the past when I tried to distract with treats he would barely look at me, often he wouldn't look at me at all. It was like I wasn't there. And this happens even at very long distances from the other dog, so it's extremely hard to avoid dogs coming closer than he can handle, especially on sidewalks. I'll cross the street when the other dog is still a block away and he's still frantically trying to look around the parked cars to catch a glimpse. If he's already looking at the dog and then refuses to look at me, or barely glances at me, should I still treat him?

If I only work on this with him at times and places where I can guarantee huge distances from other dogs will it have an effect? Or will the "regular" walks to and from those spots just undo what we worked on that day? I don't own a car and I live across the street from a park so it's a bit unavoidable. The only solution I can think of would be to take him to my parents house in the suburbs to work on this for a week before trying it at closer distances. Do you think a week would be a long enough time to get him ready for closer encounters when we get back home?