Chihuahua with Separation Anxiety

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

KatieFezzi

Chihuahua with Separation Anxiety

Post by KatieFezzi »

Hello, everyone! I've been reading all the great posts for a while and now I need a little bit of extra help.

I have a 1.5 year old chihuahua rescue with major separation issues. I got her from a shelter about 4 months ago. I walk her about 4 times a day when I'm home and she free feeds and eats about a bowl a day of toy kibble. She actually fairly well behaved but was, at one point, very aggressive towards new people. We had a trainer come to the house and all her tips and tricks were enough and she really turned it around.

I tried crate training her and it was going terribly. I reached out to the shelter where I got here and they mentioned that part of her neglect and abuse before she came to the shelter was being left in a crate for hours and even days on end. So decided maybe the crate wasn't a good option. We found an okay solution of putting her open crate in the bathroom and leaving her in the bathroom while I'm gone all day. I hired a dogwalker to come but had 3 different people and none of them worked out. She was very aggressive to them and they couldn't get a leash on her or get her back in the bathroom. They would leave her out in the apartment (small studio apartment btw) and she would have a terrible time barking and crying and peeing all over the furniture.

So I decided that the best option was to leave her home all day except for the occasional time when I can come home. I have her in the bathroom with talk radio playing, her crate, pee pads, food, water, a comfort stuffed animal that she likes, and two small food toy puzzles.

It became clear that she likely wasn't sleeping for the entire time I was gone and was just crying the whole time. She would also nose the door to the point that she was giving herself bloody noses. She wouldn't touch the food or water but would eat the chicken in the food puzzle. So the vet finally decided that she need Clomicalm and Trazodone. I gave her her first of each last night. The Trazadone really chilled her out but obviously we'll have to wait and see about the Clomicalm.

The point of this very very long post (SORRY!!) is to ask this question: I know that Clomicalm should coincide with behavioral therapy. First of all, should I hired someone or is this something I can do on my own? Second of all, any basic things I should know or work on? I really don't want to make it worse for her. Thirdly, my vet suggested waiting for therapy from an outside person for about a month because my dog is SO anxious that she wouldn't respond well to training right now. Thoughts on that?

I REALLY REALLY appreciate any help or advice you guys can give. Thanks so much in advance!
JudyN

Re: Chihuahua with Separation Anxiety

Post by JudyN »

The poor girl, she sounds very stressed. How long are you leaving her alone for each day? I'm assuming you work so this is unavoidable.

It's very hard, maybe impossible, to fix SA if you have to repeatedley leave your dog for longer than she can cope with. Would it be possible for you to find a dog daycare where she could go each day, or do you have any friends or relations who would enjoy some doggy company (maybe for payment)?

There's a thread here on SA that may help but, again, it isn't going to be easy if she will be left alone each day: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=20143
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
DianeLDL

Re: Chihuahua with Separation Anxiety

Post by DianeLDL »

Hi Katie,

We also have a chihuahua (deer chihuahua with the longer legs, body & snout). We also adopted him from the shelter at age 1 year. He is now 7 years old and with us for 6 years. :D

I don't have much to say except our experience. We were putting him in the bathroom at night in his crate. My husband would take him out at night (2:30 am) to potty. (He gets up at that hour to go to the gym anyway.) Well, he had a hard time also getting Sandy into the bathroom afterwards. And Sandy didn't like going in before bedtime either. :cry:

So, my husband (OH our abbreviation for Other Human) began leaving Sandy out in the living room/kitchen great room. Well, Sandy adopted my recliner and my afghan. Now, my recliner is now Sandy's bed and he now owns the afghan I crocheted 45 years ago! :roll:

Our living room has tile so no problem if he has an accident, and we bought a fake grass potty. (We had to get rid of the throw rugs or he would use them for potty.) :shock:

We don't work so we are home with him or he travels nearly everywhere with us. But, when he is home alone, we keep him in the living room area where he can rest on his recliner. And sleeps on his afghan, and other fleece blankets. He also has two small fleece blankets that are his "blankies" and he likes being wrapped in it. Actually he sleeps best when he is totally covered even with his head under his blankies. :wink:

I did learn that chihuahuas are very territorial. Bella, like Sandy, may feel people coming into your home as intruders. Also, chihuahuas are very protective. I cannot even hold hands with OH or Sandy goes bezerk and wants to join in. They also are great lap dogs. I have noticed that Sandy calms down when he sits on my or my husband's lap. :D

One thing I noticed is that Sandy won't drink or eat if he is home alone. Even if it's there. He also has certain time that he gets his meal so it's not out there all day. We had problems with Kongs and needed one with a larger opening.
Finding what Bella likes in a Kong and freezing it might give her something to keep her busy when you aren't home. :D

Sandy had problems with finding a kibble he likes. We now give him a mixture of Royal Canin adult chihuahua and Blue Buffalo Toy size. You mentioned you give Bella toy size kibble. What brand do you use? We mix it with pumpkin and cooked chicken.

As I mentioned, chihuahuas are very territorial. Bella may have problems with the dog walkers coming in and see them as intruders. Perhaps, have them come several times while you are there so that Bella can get used to the dog walker. It sounds like if you are gone all day, Bella really needs someone to take her out. Chihuahuas do like human contact. And, if Bella sees that you are comforatable with the dog walker, then she will be more likely to open up to the dog walker. I have noticed that some people Sandy takes to and other people he barks at. We never know who he will like. He now loves our house cleaning woman so we can let him run around with her here. But, the plumber came, and we had to crate him. :oops:

Is there another place besides the bathroom for Bella to spend the day? The bathroom is cold and not welcoming. :shock:
Is Bella allowed on the furniture? Like Sandy, Bella may find a space that is comfortable and can nest there with favorite blankets. It might give Bella a sense of warmth. And, many chihuahuas like to be covered and as I mentioned Sandy sleeps even with his head covered.

I think if Bella likes to be with other dogs, maybe doggie day care might be good. But, check it out as you would for your child and daycare. See if they use positively type methods. Sandy doesn't get along with other dogs, so that's not an option for us. And, check the link Judy gave you.

Chihuahuas can be very loving and protective, but also very stubborn and territorial. :D
I hope this helps a bit. I'm not an expert, but I have had lots of help from many people on the forum here. So, I'm sure others will have their ideas.
Diane (& Sandy)
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09