Deaf/touch-adverse/partially-sighted/13yrold dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Scarlett

Deaf/touch-adverse/partially-sighted/13yrold dog

Post by Scarlett »

Hello:

Saturday we pick up our new adopted dog, Paddington. A 13-year-old, completely deaf, partially-sighted, arthritic, touch-adverse Shiz Tsu/Cairn Terrier mix. Can anyone offer training tips/suggestions for acclimating him to touch?

My first visit he was aloof, though did sniff me many times. My second visit, I brought treats, and Paddington ate many of them gently from my hand (only nipping my fingers once, accidentally, because he can't see much). I got a tail wag, which I was told had not happened with anyone before in the 2 months he's been at the rescue facility. He did allow me to have a few momentary touches during our visit, and at the end of my 30 minute visit, he leaned into my leg and allowed me to place my hand on his side for about 20 seconds before he walked off. He seems to be very food motivated.

He never became aggressive to my attempts at touch, simply moved himself out of range. However, upon his intake at the shelter, he was put in a crate and became aggressive when anyone came near. He does not bark or make any sounds. Once he was moved to a small room instead of a crate, he was fine with both people and animals, but still does not want to be touched. He loves his walks. Mostly, he likes to wander, sniff, and nap.

He is on arthritis meds and supplements. At some point in his life he'd been run over by a car, so he may be experiencing some level of pain that contributes to not wanting to be touched, despite how happy he seems in his own special way. He is especially touch adverse near his face/head. The rescue has been walking him on a leash; but he is a very exuberant walker (he sort of bunny-hops) and they feel a harness would be preferred. The rescue has not attempted to put a harness on him so as not to stress him further (and, I suppose, not to get bit).

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you.
JudyN

Re: Deaf/touch-adverse/partially-sighted/13yrold dog

Post by JudyN »

I'm not an expert, but I have a friend who has rescued one traumatised Romanian street dog and is currently fostering another. Her advice would be 'Come back and ask again in three months if he's not improved' :lol:

What is he like now when you offer him treats? What does he do if you touch his rear end, his back, his neck, his head? Can you get a lead on him so he can go on walks, and is this a battle?

Has he had a recent vet check for anything that might cause him pain? It might be possible to test this (with a vet's agreement) simply by giving him a pain medication for a few days and seeing if he seems happier. But at this point, it would be difficult to disinguish that to him just settling in.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Post by Erica »

In addition to Judy's great advice, some harnesses are easier to put on than others, and some are better for certain dogs. Step-in harnesses can be low-touch if you can get the dog to put their feet in the holes and stand there...but that can be difficult. Most people end up picking the dog's feet up. Freedom harnesses have the loop go over the head, then pull the straps between the dog's front legs and buckle on either side. The Perfect Fit and TTouch take this a step further; you can have a loose collection of straps, place part on the dog's back, buckle the neck, then again straps between legs and buckle on either side.

ComfortFlex and JuliusK9 go over the head and just have a belly band to clip - the ComfortFlex might be my first try, being lighter weight, if you can test it out before buying/find someone with an acceptable return policy. Some dogs will not walk with the strap that goes across their chest (I know this firsthand, thankfully because I found someone who had the right size to let me test! :P). The TTouch is my dog's preference. He dislikes "heavy" harnesses, which for him means 1" nylon or more. He's a good 45 lbs and tall, so not a small fellow! Ideally I'd have him in 1" or *more*, not less, but he doesn't pull much so I'm not going to worry about it.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Scarlett

Post by Scarlett »

JudyN wrote:I'm not an expert, but I have a friend who has rescued one traumatised Romanian street dog and is currently fostering another. Her advice would be 'Come back and ask again in three months if he's not improved' :lol:

What is he like now when you offer him treats? What does he do if you touch his rear end, his back, his neck, his head? Can you get a lead on him so he can go on walks, and is this a battle?

Has he had a recent vet check for anything that might cause him pain? It might be possible to test this (with a vet's agreement) simply by giving him a pain medication for a few days and seeing if he seems happier. But at this point, it would be difficult to disinguish that to him just settling in.
Ha! Your friend's advice is actually comforting! I'm wanting to believe his behavior is a reaction to shelter living and this gives me hope! :D He was very curious in me when I had treats, and happy to keep eating them so long as I kept offering. I did drop one, and pulled it away as he went for it, and he did not at all get aggressive. He wears a regular collar, and they attach the lead by distracting him with treats. He loves walks, so once the lead is on he starts hopping around ready to go.

He was vetted and has arthritis. That, along with healed broken bones (from rib-cage down), and his advanced age, may be causing pain. He is on arthritis meds and supplements. He seems to be very happy-go-lucky, despite it all...except for the touch thing.

I'm going to take him home Saturday, and see how it goes. I'll be back in 3 months :lol:
Scarlett

Post by Scarlett »

Erica wrote:In addition to Judy's great advice, some harnesses are easier to put on than others, and some are better for certain dogs. Step-in harnesses can be low-touch if you can get the dog to put their feet in the holes and stand there...but that can be difficult. Most people end up picking the dog's feet up. Freedom harnesses have the loop go over the head, then pull the straps between the dog's front legs and buckle on either side. The Perfect Fit and TTouch take this a step further; you can have a loose collection of straps, place part on the dog's back, buckle the neck, then again straps between legs and buckle on either side.

ComfortFlex and JuliusK9 go over the head and just have a belly band to clip - the ComfortFlex might be my first try, being lighter weight, if you can test it out before buying/find someone with an acceptable return policy. Some dogs will not walk with the strap that goes across their chest (I know this firsthand, thankfully because I found someone who had the right size to let me test! :P). The TTouch is my dog's preference. He dislikes "heavy" harnesses, which for him means 1" nylon or more. He's a good 45 lbs and tall, so not a small fellow! Ideally I'd have him in 1" or *more*, not less, but he doesn't pull much so I'm not going to worry about it.
Thank you for this detailed information and advice! Paddington will be my first dog, so the harness info is very helpful. :)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Scarlett wrote:I'm going to take him home Saturday, and see how it goes. I'll be back in 3 months :lol:
Ah, I somehow read that as saying you'd had him since Saturday - my mistake! Yes, less is more at the beginning. My friend was really pleased when after a few weeks, she could gently rub her foster dog's face just for a moment as he took a treat (sadly he is a really severe case though). Let Paddington initiate touch as much as possible, and when you do touch him, make sure he knows you're there and about to touch him - either using what eyesight he has or by smell.

Do let us know how he gets on, and feel free to ask any questions you have once he's with you :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009