Capturing calm

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Capturing calm

Post by Shalista »

So i realized that I've been slacking a bit in working on calmness with Bax so i decided to start trying to capture him more when he's calm. It's proving... complicated.

Normally he sacks out next to me in his green chair while I'm at the computer. Lately I've been practicing just turning to him while he's laying there and saying "good boy" in a very low soothing voice. He instantly perks up. he sits up with his ears up staring at me ready to go. Sometimes just me turning my head to look at him is enough for him to hop up.

If i can't even verbally reinforce him without him hopping up what are my odds at giving him a treat or some soothing pets?

Am i even doing this whole "reinforcing calm" thing right?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Re: Capturing calm

Post by Nettle »

You would be with many dogs, but not Bax at this time. You say that you are away from home a lot and he isn't getting much in the way of stimulus or company, so really it is unreasonable at this stage to expect 'calm'. The fact that he is settling down with you at all speaks volumes for how far you have both come. We can only ask for 'calm' when all activity needs have been well and truly satisfied. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS