Dog Peeing When left

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

cooky

Dog Peeing When left

Post by cooky »

We have an 18 month old Border Terrier (Spike) and 2 elderly English Pointers. My husband has had the Pointers since before we met. When we first had Spike my husband was not going out to work and Spike was completely house trained. But since he returned to work in January this year Spike started peeing occasionally when we put him to bed at night. Recently he has started to do this more frequently and also occasionally when we are out at work during the day. I clean the floor with biological washing powder. Last week he peed in th lounge when I was upstairs in the house - I think this might have been because he couldn't get to me. He spends the day in our utility room with the 2 pointers and usually chooses to share a bed with one or the other. He also has a dog flap which he uses regularly to go in and out of a large, secure garden. I walk the dogs across open fields every morrning before I go out and again when we return from work. I don't make a fuss when I leave the house or when I return, but my husband usually gives the dogs a biscuit each when he comes or goes and makes a fuss of them all (he has always done this with the Pointers). Any advice would be gratefully received as we're running out of ideas and things are getting worse!!
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Have you been to the vet with him? , it may be an idea to have him looked over before you start on behavioural problems.
cooky

Dog Peeing When left

Post by cooky »

Hi'- Yes - we spoke to the vet and he has no health problems. The vet more or less said there was nothing we could do short of letting him sleep with us! Not very helpful...
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Are you absolutely certain it is Spike?

Elderly dogs can get a bit leaky. Maybe one of the pointers is, and Spike is marking over it.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

What sex are the Pointers and have they been neutered?

I have 3 dogs that struggle to go through the night and get up to let them out. There are various health problems that could cause this with older dogs and as Nettle says, Spike could be marking over something one of the other dogs has done.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]