Off leash safety for different dog breeds

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

carrie_02

Off leash safety for different dog breeds

Post by carrie_02 »

Hi there! I have a question about dog's being off leash (in areas that aren't clearly and securely fenced in). I know some people believe that you should never ever let a dog off leash if they are in a high fenced and totally closed area, but others think that if you have really taught your dog a reliable come command it is okay to let them free sometimes in areas that aren't fenced. So I have a few questions for you guys!!
1- Do you personally believe it's okay to let some dogs off leash- if you've taught them a reliable come command?
2- If you do believe it's sometimes okay to let dogs off leash if they have a reliable come command, where would you be willing to do that? (I'm assuming you wouldn't let your dog off leash on the sidewalk right next to a busy road, for example)
3- Are there any breeds where you would never let off leash, even if you had taught them what seemed to be a reliable come command? If so, what are some of the breeds / types of dogs you would never let off leash? For example, say you had a Siberian Husky, who I've heard are more likely to run off; what if the Siberian Husky responded very reliably to your come commands; would you still be less likely to let him off leash than say a Lab which had the same reliability of the command?
Thanks!
JudyN

Re: Off leash safety for different dog breeds

Post by JudyN »

This thread, where you raised the question earlier, should answer some of your questions: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21867&p=151209#p151209

As for breed specifics, I don't believe there's any breeds that should never be allowed off lead. You need to assess the individual dog. Some people with retired greyhounds find they can never train them well enough to let them off lead other than in a completely secure area, particularly if they can't tell the difference between a small fluffy dog and a rabbit. And despite pretty good recall, I wouldn't let my large, fast, prey-driven dog off lead in a place where it would be safe to let off different types. It's just common sense really.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
carrie_02

Re: Off leash safety for different dog breeds

Post by carrie_02 »

JudyN wrote:This thread, where you raised the question earlier, should answer some of your questions: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21867&p=151209#p151209

As for breed specifics, I don't believe there's any breeds that should never be allowed off lead. You need to assess the individual dog. Some people with retired greyhounds find they can never train them well enough to let them off lead other than in a completely secure area, particularly if they can't tell the difference between a small fluffy dog and a rabbit. And despite pretty good recall, I wouldn't let my large, fast, prey-driven dog off lead in a place where it would be safe to let off different types. It's just common sense really.
Oh my, thank you for noticing that I accidentally repeated the question!