Attitude you should use when interacting with dogs

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

carrie_02

Attitude you should use when interacting with dogs

Post by carrie_02 »

I heard from multiple people that when you are around a dog, you should act and feel firm, calm, assertive, and like you mean business. And they also say that you have to make sure your posture and body language are confident and not slouchy. And, your voice is supposed to be deep, firm, and clear. They say if you do this the dog is much more likely to obey commands from you and act well behaved.
But, the people I heard said this (they were having a discussion that I wasn't really participating in) are fans of seeing dogs as dominant and I know they sometimes correct their dog when the dog does something wrong. So, I was wondering if the ideas they stated were true- is there a certain way you should act around dogs to get them to obey you and behave better, or is what they were instructing you to do just going to scare the dogs and cause it to obey because they are scared of you?
Is there some way, an attitude or body language, that you should act around dogs so they'll be more well behaved and obey you? Thanks!
JudyN

Re: Attitude you should use when interacting with dogs

Post by JudyN »

The benefits of being calm and confident is about the only thing I do agree with the 'dominance' camp on! But it doesn't mean that you have to bark commands at your dog, just that you should appear to know what you're doing and even that you expect the dog to do what you ask. And 'confident' doesn't equal 'stern'. I find a happy voice to be much more effective than a stern voice.

Just imagine how an 'ideal' parent, or even boss or teacher, would behave. They wouldn't appear to 'pull rank', issue orders or intimiate you into behaving - they would earn respect and demonstrate that doing what they ask reaps benefits for you, so you want to do as they ask, and do it as a matter of habit.

If I ask Jasper which way he wants to go on a walk and he doesn't seem able to decide, I try to say 'OK, we'll go this way' pretty soon, because I don't want him to think I don't know what to do either. And if it's a stressful situation, such as walking past a cat, again I will be very calm because if I appear to flap or be worried (which would be because I'm worried about Jasper's reaction) this is bound to make him more agitated. My response is much more 'Tra la la la la, nothing's happening here, let's just pass by quietly' than 'DON'T KICK OFF OR ELSE!!'

Sometimes a degree of firmness works but again, it's only just edging into stern, and nowhere near to angry or shouty. After all, would you work well for an angry shouty boss or teacher? :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Such good advice from JudyN.

My work is mainly with highly reactive dogs, and I endorse giving them respect. I give dogs space and do not force my attentions on them. I listen to what they have to say. I get into their heads to find out their world from their point of view. If I want them to do something I make it clear what it is that I want them to do (not what it is I don't want them to do - important difference) and make it clear what the reward for doing what I want will be.

So - first respect, and always empathy.

Some people just can't do empathy. They don't have it in them. So they shout. :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

To me, as well, it's important to focus on helping the dog to make the right decisions himself rather than intimidating him into doing what I say (which is pretty well what the dominance camp would do). So if Jasper refuses to walk in a particular direction (assuming we need to go that way and there's not a good reason such as a scary dustbin lorry in that direction) I will wait him out until he makes the right decision himself, rather than ordering him to go 'my' way. And because he recognises that I'm not going to change my mind, he makes the right decision pretty much straight away nowadays. I'm still being calm & confident.

It's a bit like persuading your child to go down the high slide at the water park rather than just shoving them :mrgreen:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
carrie_02

Post by carrie_02 »

Thank you Judy and Nettle!