Bonding

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sconn15

Bonding

Post by sconn15 »

My husband and I got a new dog over a week ago. We've both been wanting a dog so badly and we finally got our first one. He's a boxer pit mix, they say two years old but I think he's younger. Things are going well mostly, he's really mellow and learns quickly.
He's totally bonded with me, but he's still unsure of my husband. We've been having him be the one to feed him and take him out to urinate, and even give him special treats. It has helped; he's listening better and seems more comfortable around him but he just doesn't seem to have bonded with him yet.

I'm just worried he'll never open up so I'm hoping for some reassurance or more ideas of how to get them to bond. It makes me sad because my husband is so loving and has wanted a dog so badly, we've got to get this dog to bond with him!
JudyN

Re: Bonding

Post by JudyN »

It's incredibly early days, and many dogs are more unsure about males than females regardless of their background.

I'm not sure what you're expecting to see as evidence of bonding - not all dogs are cuddly and effusive, so makes sure neither of you is giving him more physical contact than he wants. Don't think in terms of young lovers, but of, say, adult brothers who go no further than a pally slap on the back. Insisting on hugs isn't going to help the relationship!

Make sure your OH plays fun games with your dog as well as feeding, toileting and training. You might find some good ideas here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1135 Otherwise, just give your dog time to make up his own mind about OH. He may always be more attached to you and may choose to have a less touchy-feely relationship with your OH - just as with our family and friends we are more attached to some than others - but as I said, it's very early days and he's still sorting things out in his head.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009