Questions about bell ringing

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Shalista

Questions about bell ringing

Post by Shalista »

So I've been working today with teaching bax to ring a bell to go outside. nothing online is remotely helpful. My problem is that he WILL. NOT. STOP. ringing it. He rings it, i praise, clip on the leash, hustle him outside. we stand and be boring for about ten seconds (i know hes allready peed and pooped) and then i turn around bring him inside, unclip the leash, and he books it as fast as his stubby terrier legs can go to ring it again. I appreciate his enthusiasm but its exhausting. is this normal? we've been doing it for about 10-15 min of continuously in and out and he's not even close with being bored of ringing the bell. I finally took it away from him. Thoughts?
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Re: Questions about bell ringing

Post by Erica »

Did you train him using treats or rewards other than going outside?

He might still think it's a training session, so is trying to work out how to get the reward. I think taking it up was good - leave it up for a while, then put it back down and don't set yourself up like you're about to do a training session (eg, sit down to read a book or something). Maybe that will help?
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Originally it was trained with treats and when i reintroduced the bell i gave him treats again initially.

what i did for the rest of the day was every time i was about to take him out normally id take the bell down, hed ring it, id clip him on and then out we'd go and as soon as he got back in id put up the bell. just so he'd associate that ringing the bell means going out. i think i'm going to keep doing this for a couple of days and then try bringing it back down again? thoughts?

I've also been leaving his harness on him all day for faster clipping and unclipping of the leash which i feel bad about but... it's not like the harness is uncomfortable for him so i dont see the bother.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Post by Erica »

I don't see any problems with that plan!

And while I'd watch for signs of it rubbing, if he isn't bothered by it then it should be fine to leave on. In a longer-furred dog you'd have to worry about matting but that's not an issue for Bax ;)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14