Middle of Night Barking for Attention

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sarahbhunter

Middle of Night Barking for Attention

Post by sarahbhunter »

Hello! I have searched the forum for an answer to this issue, but have not been able to find an applicable answer. We have two permanent dogs: a rhodesian ridgeback mix and a beagle. We also foster dogs on a regular basis, typically we get a dog for 1-2 months, adopt them out, and wait 2-3 weeks and get a new one. The fostering has been going on for over a year now. I had the Rhodesian Ridgeback (RR) before moving in with my fiance. The RR slept with me, but was an under the covers dog who would like to get in and out of bed at night. This was incredibly disruptive to our sleep and 1.5 years ago, we trained the permanent dogs to sleep in their kennels. The foster dogs are always kenneled at night. We gave them blankets+doggie beds to transition them and would lead them in the kennel throughout the day with treats and praise. The first night both dogs whined a bit, but we ignored them and the whining stopped in about 10 minutes. The RR HATES storms, so I got in the (bad) habit of letting him sleep with us when it was stormy. He typically used the attention bark + whine to get me to do that. It did not happen often and the transition back into the kennel the next night went fine (no whining or barking). Fast forward to the past two months. Our RR has been high-pitched whining and barking (more of the attention type bark) about 10 minutes after we go to bed. He is getting increasingly stressed and wants out of his kennel. We have tried covering his kennel and tried moving his kennel to another room with the beagle's kennel (for quiet-calm area). He eventually get quiet and goes to sleep, but starts up again in the middle of the night. Our beagle has started barking in the middle of the night the last two nights, and wakes up the RR, who will then start whining and barking. Both dogs are prey-driven and typically bark at squirrels in the yard. Otherwise the limit their barking to the mailman when inside.

Thing that have not changed: still gets exercise and vigorous play, on the same food, no storms, bedtime routine is the same (potty break and command "get in your bed")
Things that have changed: I got a new job this year and travel had me gone for the end of October and most of November; we got a new foster in early October

I suspect that the RR has been a bit stressed due to my travel schedule, but I have not been traveling since mid-November and this behavior is continuing. I know that I shouldn't let him out of the kennel when he does this, but I am not sure how to approach the barking/whining. Guidance would be appreciated. His barking and whining is heartbreaking and I want to get him less stressed.
Erica

Re: Middle of Night Barking for Attention

Post by Erica »

Could you move his kennel to your room, next to your bed? If he's feeling insecure because you've been gone, having you near will help him recover. When he's feeling more confident, you can start moving his kennel back out of the room if you wish - a few feet at a time. Dogs are very social and dog company sometimes just can't compare to their human's. ;)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
sarahbhunter

Post by sarahbhunter »

I completely agree. I think he just wants to be near me. Unfortunately, his kennel was positioned next to my side of the bed when he started this behavior. I think that it is worthwhile to try moving him back in the room with us and see if that works.

Thank you!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Is the kennel covered? If not, this might help him feel secure - he might even like a blanket over him when he goes in at bedtime. But I agree with Erica that moving it into your bedroom is important.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
sarahbhunter

Post by sarahbhunter »

Hey Judy! Yes, the kennel is currently covered with a blanket and he has two blankets in the kennel and his favorite bed. He was in our room initially, right next to our bed. We moved him (and our other dog) out into the other room as an attempt to address the barking/whining. We will move the kennel back into our room, but since that is where he was initially, I am not sure if that will be our solution. I remain hopeful and am willing to try something again!
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Sarah,

I'm just wondering if it may be due to something else that he's barking & whining at night especially since he was barking & whining while next to you in your room.

1. When was his last check up? Whining may be that he may not feel well or pain. I would have him checked by the vet Just to rule out any physical problems.

2. Has there been anything new such as new dog(s) or other animal?

3. One thing that drives our dog crazy is unusual noises. In particular, when our smoke detector chirps since needs new battery, our dog freaks out.
He went crazy one night & not the smoke detector. We couldn't figure it out until the next morning, I found out our refrigerator had "died". We believe that Sandy sensed that there was a change in the noise--yes, too quiet refrigerator. :lol:

4. Being winter (assuming you are in northern hemisphere), is there a change in temperature that he may sense. Or is the heater going on & off that' may sound different than usual or what he is used to?

5. Also, is he having to potty more frequently at night? That goes with my 1st question as well as any changes in diet that may cause overactive stomach or bladder situation?

So, first I would have a complete physical. Then, spend time in the room where he sleeps as well as your own & sit quietly & really listen.
Also, does he like sleeping in the crate? Sandy hated it, and he ended up taking over my recliner. :roll:

At least eliminate any of the above, especially the physical exam, including having teeth checked. It's thecwhining that concerns me.
Diane
Just some ideas from past experiences with Sandy.
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
sarahbhunter

Post by sarahbhunter »

Diane, Thank you so much for your response. You brought up some thing that I had not considered.

1. Reagan is scheduled for a check-up this Friday. We are very diligent with his annual appointments, and he typically goes one other time a year as well. I will bring this up at the vet.

2. Yes, I think I may have mentioned that we foster dogs. Prior to our newest foster, all the other fosters were beagles, but we got a 75 lb. treeing walker coonhound in October (just around the time this started). A couple things are different with this foster...first, he has major human fear and we have to dedicate a little more time to him than we have with previous fosters. We try to be even with our attention, but I am sure that there are days where the attention is not evenly distributed. Second, the organization we foster with only had a Large crate for the foster (he is too tall) so we took Reagan's extra large, very roomy crate and switched it with the foster. Reagan does not have as much room in this one, but he is a 45 lb dog and has enough room to stand without lowering his head. I am thinking that you hit the nail on the head with the new animal comment.

3. I am a very light sleeper and any changes in noises really bothers me. I have not noticed a change in noises, but I will listen more carefully this week.

4. He is a under the covers type of dog and I feel like he gets cold easily. We make sure that he has plenty of blankets and that his snuggler bed is nice and warm. The heater shutting on and off has not been a problem before, but I will look at it.

5. He does not have changes with his bathroom schedule, urgency, or frequency. When he whines to get out of the crate and we (reluctantly) let him out...he immediately runs and darts under the covers on our bed. I highly doubt that this is the issue, but I will have the vet run a full check-up on Friday.

I have heard him whimper and whine out of pain (declaw detachment), but this is a high-pitched bark+whine ONLY when he is to sleep in his kennel and sounds different than his pain sounds. It honestly sounds like his attention bark/whine. You know, it sort of sounds like a toddler crying when they don't get their way. :lol: He used to like sleeping in his luxurious, extra large kennel, but I am beginning to suspect that he does not like the large one. He would prefer to sleep in bed with us, but I have a hard time sleeping with a 45 lb dog under my covers :roll:

I am planning to buy an additional extra large kennel after Christmas to see if that would work.

Thank you for the helpful comments.