How to play with puppies

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

AliceGrimm

How to play with puppies

Post by AliceGrimm »

I guess this may seem like a dumb question, but I feel it would be good to get advice.

I know from watching Victoria's show "It's Me or the Dog", that rough tug of war, and rough play can teach a puppy that biting is acceptable. And I get the idea that you can still play tug, but not quite sure about all the details. From what I understand it is more of a side to side thing and a little bit more calm.

I wanted to make my question board though, not just about tug. Like what type of human to puppy interaction is fun for the puppy, beneficial for learning and manners, and perhaps most importantly, establish a solid bond between you and your puppy?

I am also curious about no-nos, things that most new dog owners and especially puppy owners may not know that could set them up with a puppy/dog with bad habits later?
Shalista

Re: How to play with puppies

Post by Shalista »

my terrier adores playing chase with his flirt pole. its great for tiring him out but you do need a bit of space to do it.

I also play chase with him where i have a toy (or he does) and we chase each other around the house. (prolly wouldn't recommend this one until your confident in your recall/drop it or he'll learn that running away from you is FUN!) but it is a great way to get him interested in other wise boring toy (haha you cant have this super special awesome toy) and it tires him out to =)
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Erica

Post by Erica »

Flirt poles are great for adult dogs, but I wouldn't use them normally for puppies. With baby Delta, I would just drag the flirt pole toy in a straight line on the ground for him to chase and tackle. I didn't whip it around and bounce it in the air and such.

Tug - yes, you want some rules. Doing the side-to-side tug is safer for their necks, and I am careful to never suddenly change direction in such a way as could cause whiplash.

The rules I would recommend for tug:
-The dog must be relatively calm and in control of themselves before starting - eg standing with their feet still or sitting - or the game doesn't start.
-The dog's teeth don't touch my skin, or the game ends.
-The dog drops the toy when asked, or the game ends. (This one is more for once the dog understands and can usually drop the toy when asked. For dogs just starting out, I swap them for a treat from my pocket, then start again at "be calm before we start tugging.")

It's really simple but dogs seem to really love it - we teach a "through the legs recall" in class. The floor is hard and we use biscuit/cookie style treats which make a noise when they hit the ground. Make some noises to get doggy's attention, back up so they chase after you, then stand with your legs apart and throw the treat through them so puppy runs through your legs to get the treat that bounces on the floor. Then you turn around so you're facing the way the puppy went, and calling them back to do it again! Keep your attitude up like it's a game - happy fun voices, bouncy movement etc. This teaches them to recall into you really closely. Every few repetitions, stand up straight with your legs together and get the dog to sit instead. (Be cautious with this when working with dogs who don't care about running into you!) This usually gets snappier recalls and recalls that are right close to the human so catching them if they've escaped or you need to put the leash on is easier.

101 things to do with a box is also great fun!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

I think that tug can be a great way to instill bite inhibition...
We did this a lot, practicing the difference between a toy and a human hand.
The moment he feels the hand - release the toy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Oowyptd5E

I even offer guests to try this with him..... strangely, noone seems to want to :?
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

that's a nice ridgie =)
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

I didn't understand the box link. Like it went step by step for something.. But not 101 uses for it. I will look at it more at it now that I have time. Finals are finally done!!

Hmm I would love to be able to play with a dog that way, where they let go as soon as they feel any human hand.
Are there steps on how to work up to that level?
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

I think it's "101" cause there are so many different things you can try with just treats, a clicker, and a box.
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Oh! I thought they were going to list all 101 things you can do with the box and clicker and treats. lol

I was thinking perhaps doing scent training with my pup. Miniature Schnauzers were ratters. So.. I figure I could do some scent training to help those instincts (and hopefully keep the puppy tired out from trying to chase all the bunnies and squirrels out side). And I was thinking of using a recorder with my voice or another persons voice.. perhaps saying help or something.. and put it down quiet and hiding that some where. They have amazing ears.. so I thought I could use that fact with my pup.

Maybe even search and rescue training. Not that my dog breed is usually that sort of type. But if they can listen for rats and sniff them out, why not people. And do hide and seek games.

Are any of these a bad idea?
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

hide and seek is awesome, especially i nthe early stages when you have someone to hold him while you hide. as he gets older you could try putting him into a stay and hiding. I liked playing hide and seek with bax when i was still letting him off leash =) hed go wandering off following his nose and id duck down behind some tall grass and wait for him to notice i was missing. it was always the best when he "found me" we'd have a huge play time and then hed get bored and go wandering off to sniff and id duck down.....
Erica

Post by Erica »

Look into Nosework or Barn Hunt - both are scent-focused sports that you can probably find some instruction for practicing at home, and are suitable for dogs of any age! :) Puppies might not have the attention span for it too much, but you can do small easy ones for sure.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

I will definitely check that out!!
I know puppies have small attention spans, but if I make it short and easy.. it could set up stuff.
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't going to cause bad habits.

Like one of Victoria's episodes.. where the guy has this beautiful black dog (looks like a German Shepard) and he started training to attack people, but couldn't train it to let go, so it begun to bite and hang on trees on walks. (He had wanted a dog for protection).

I just wanted to make sure scent training or find me type games were safe.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

ooooooooooooooooooooo Barn hunt <3 <3 <3 someday you and i bax, someday
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'd avoid the voice recorder idea. Even an adult dog would get confused and possibly upset at a voice that comes from nowhere. You have to think like a dog at times, because they can't think like us.

But anything involving scenting is a really good idea. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

I suppose that makes sense. I have been looking into the Barn Hunt and Nose Work. I am pretty excited. Those look fun. It will be a long time before I think I will be able to do those. But I did find a school that did some Nose Work training. So that might be good. I plan to do some on my own. But I found that for the Nose Work tests they do certain smells, and I don't want to do it wrong. lol

I will continue learning about it though!!