Toys

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

AliceGrimm

Toys

Post by AliceGrimm »

What are good toys for puppies?

I am not sure what sort of chewing level I should be looking for and what is dangerous and not dangerous.

Like squeakers can be dangerous.. yet they are loved by some dogs and owners. I hear rope toys are dangerous if the strings come off and the dog eats them, but yet they are hard and hold up well.

How do you know what chew level your puppy is, does it depend on age, breed or personality?

Thank you!!!
Nettle

Re: Toys

Post by Nettle »

Age and breed definitely. But all pups need to chew and chew and chew while their teeth are settling.

Best toys for puppies are cardboard boxes (without staples) card interiors to paper rolls, big raw vegetables that can be gnawed to death.

Toys in general are made in the Far East and can have risky dyes or fittings. In UK there is no protective legislation so pet toys can be any quality from great to dire.

Others will differ, but as a behaviour trainer, I do NOT like squeaky toys as they make some dogs far too excited and apt to bite down hard on anything to see if it squeaks. You can disable the squeak by poking a skewer or darning needle into it.

Some breeds easily become fixated on balls, so take care if you get one of these dogs. Others couldn't care less and look mildly offended if you give them a ball :lol:

Never ever ever EVER use a laser pen or anything else with flashing lights tp play with your dog and don't let anyone else do it either. It can easily cause fixation behaviour, and in some dogs is known to trigger epilepsy.

There's more - so much more - but I don't want to pverwhelm you.

You ask some GREAT questions :D you are going to be such a good dog owner.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

Braided fleece seems to be becoming the favored tug toy for many people - you can even make them yourself very easily! If your dog just wants to chew and chew and chew on it I still wouldn't leave them alone with it, but they are good tug toys.

Kongs are great too - freezing them with a bit of peanut butter inside them can make them last for a while. You don't want to block the hole at the small end, because it becomes a suction hazard then, but as long as they're appropriately sized they're pretty safe!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Did not know about blocking the hole O.o i always took a blocked hole as a sign i'd fully stuffed it. good to know!
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Nettle wrote:Best toys for puppies are cardboard boxes (without staples) card interiors to paper rolls, big raw vegetables that can be gnawed to death.
Would cardboard boxes be one of those, only when supervised toys? The breeder I am getting my pup from seems to use them as well. I want some toys that can be used to entertain the puppy and help with teething for a few hours that I need to step out. I suppose the cardboard box makes me worry the puppy will swallow some bits of it.

Do you have a recommendation on the types of vegetables? lol The first thing that came to my mind was zucchini. :D
Nettle wrote:Toys in general are made in the Far East and can have risky dyes or fittings. In UK there is no protective legislation so pet toys can be any quality from great to dire.

That is awful!!! I bet the same is true int he US (since there is often recalls on children toys for having lead). I will have to watch out for that. Thank you!

Nettle wrote:Others will differ, but as a behaviour trainer, I do NOT like squeaky toys as they make some dogs far too excited and apt to bite down hard on anything to see if it squeaks. You can disable the squeak by poking a skewer or darning needle into it.
That makes sense. Mostly I was just thinking of a stuffy for the puppy to cuddle with and slightly chew on. But I am very scared that they will rip it apart and choke on something. lol I can't say I mind your reason either, as it makes sense and saves me from the never ending squeaking sound.
Nettle wrote:Some breeds easily become fixated on balls, so take care if you get one of these dogs. Others couldn't care less and look mildly offended if you give them a ball :lol:

Never ever ever EVER use a laser pen or anything else with flashing lights tp play with your dog and don't let anyone else do it either. It can easily cause fixation behaviour, and in some dogs is known to trigger epilepsy.
For the ball, you mean the type of dog that never gets tired of you throwing the ball? And or can become possessive of the ball?

I think I will take your advice on being easy with ball fixations, and I am glad you mentioned the laser pens. I didn't think about those, but I could see how they could be harmful to the puppies eyes and I am getting a Miniature Schnauzer. While their personalities may differ, they have instincts to chase, so they could easily be fixated on these types of things. Thank you!

Nettle wrote:There's more - so much more - but I don't want to pverwhelm you.

You ask some GREAT questions :D you are going to be such a good dog owner.
The best part is that is written down so I can always re-read it. lol Thank you so much!
I hope so. I just feel it is a big deal... I want to have a furry companion, but I also understand that is a bit selfish. So, it is best to take as many things under consideration wen you want to become responsible for another life.
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Erica wrote:Braided fleece seems to be becoming the favored tug toy for many people - you can even make them yourself very easily! If your dog just wants to chew and chew and chew on it I still wouldn't leave them alone with it, but they are good tug toys.

Kongs are great too - freezing them with a bit of peanut butter inside them can make them last for a while. You don't want to block the hole at the small end, because it becomes a suction hazard then, but as long as they're appropriately sized they're pretty safe!
Omg! Thank you! I never knew that there was a suction hazard with the Kong. And I am betting there isn't much of a warning on the label either.

Hmmm that is a good idea, about the braided fleece. But I am glad you mention not to leave the pups alone with it. I like that you can create your own. You can then pick colors the puppies can actually see.