After attack - sitting on my feet....

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BillyJo1962

After attack - sitting on my feet....

Post by BillyJo1962 »

This is only my second post here and I am still very, very new to this site. So, if I am posting this in the wrong section - please feel free to tell me so and move to the proper portion of the board. :)

I have many, many, many questions and curiosities about dog behaviour and particularly about my dogs. (And I have been reading this board as much as I possibly can, every day, since I found it!) But I have one question that I have wondered about since the day it began and I would love to know what you all have to say about it.

My 2 1/2 yr old Beagle was attacked, in our own backyard, and almost killed a yr ago yesterday. After the attack (I'll give more details if anyone wants them), she began to "sit" on my feet. She had NEVER done this before and of course I felt as though it was some sort of security type behaviour going on - as in "it made her feel "somehow" more secure when she was parked on my feet" - does that make any sense? :? Of course at this time she wouldn't let me out of her sight and I didn't want her out of mine. While I was doing dishes - she was sitting on my feet. If I were sitting on the floor, she would be sitting on my knees, even in the bathroom - when I would sit on the toilet (sorry for being so descriptive but don't know how else to explain it), she would be right there and sitting on my feet.

A yr later now, she rarely does it, but will still do it at times. It doesn't bother me at all other than it worries me because I feel as though when she does this, it's because she is feeling scared or insecure or something along those lines.

Have any of you ever heard of this before and if so, am I "at all" reading it correctly?

Thank you in advance,
BJ
bella'smom

Post by bella'smom »

:D BJ! I'm new on this board too and am learning so much! I'm surprised someone hasn't answered your question by now! Your reasoning for her behavior sounds logical to me!

I have 2 bichons - Lucy (2-1/2) and Bella (10 mos)! I've never had any problems with Lucy, but Bella has been more challenging which is why I'm HERE! :lol:

See you around!

Joan
Touch a Bichon and you have touched a bit of Heaven! Hold a Bichon and you have held the World! Love a Bichon and you will love life forever!
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Its one of those things for me that I would need to see the whole picture. Dogs have sooo many sublte gestures that focusing on any 1 can be misleading.

My best guess without direct observation would be.

There probably is a strong sense of security/safety being in your presence. Your touch or rather touching you is also relaxing again helping your dog to feel more secure in his environment.

While some people train their dogs for protection, I train to be my dog's protector. Occasionally they come up and lean heavily against me. I know it is relaxing for them. There eyes are soft, mouth is usually back and relaxed, and the body is not stiff. Ears have been both alert and totally relaxed.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's a security matter. You can't go anywhere without the dog knowing if it is sitting on your feet.

One of my friends has a house rabbit that sits on her feet to stop her going out. :D As soon as the coat and shoes thing starts, the rabbit is on her feet.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS