Barking when playing with other dogs

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Rubyfx

Barking when playing with other dogs

Post by Rubyfx »

I have a 2 year old male Lakeland x patterdale Riley, he's great with other dogs and loves to play. He has a couple of the same dogs he's used to regualary playing off lead with, however when the other dog is done with playing he will constantly bark at them till they will start playing again. It's not an aggressive bark, and he shows signs of wanting to play like bowing while barking, but obviously I want it to stop.
My partners parents have just got a Rhodesian ridgeback puppy and when we introduced them it was great, until the puppy got tired and riley started barking at him. I need him to be around this dog calmly without having to constantly play to keep him happy.
I've tried putting him back on the lead to calm down, as well as distracting him or getting him to focus on me. But nothing seems to work.
Any advice would be great!
Nettle

Re: Barking when playing with other dogs

Post by Nettle »

We need to know lots more! :) Tell us about his typical day especially with regard to how/what he is fed, his exercise, training, everything he does. What are his favourite activities? When he wakes up in the morning, what is it he is really really hoping he'll do that day?

We also need to know about other people and animals in the home. Then we can help more.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Rubyfx

Post by Rubyfx »

He is walked for 30 minutes x2 a day once in the morning and again in the afternoon. He lives for walks, and is the first thing he expects when he wakes up in the morning. Loves playing especially with tennis balls but will entertain himself most of the time.
He eats a mix of wainwrights small breed dry food and switchs between naturediet and forthglade wet food.
He's quite well trained, will come back when called, but can have selective hearing when another dog is around.

We had a 16 year old patterdale cross male till Riley was 1.5yo, they got on well played when appropriate but riley respected when enough was enough and would not bark at all. He's now the only dog in the home (has been for a year now).

He lives with myself (23yo female) and my Nan who is 85, he is used to 24/7 human contact with my Nan being at home 99% of the time, so doesn't fare well on the odd occasion he is left alone. However, he used to be fine with another dog in the house.

He is a really well behaved dog in most aspects, other than barking at other dogs after playing. They could have been playing fine for 30 minutes, the second the other dog lays down to take a break the barking starts.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

He does sound a dude :)

Can you give him a little longer on his walks? Terriers easily do double what he is getting now.

Have a look at our pinned thread Exercise the Mind which shows all sorts of exciting things you can do to tire him out which can be done at home and cost hardly anything.

The purpose of my suggestions is to give him more to occupy him, because at the moment his main source of excitement is playing with other dogs and then shouting at them to carry on when they have had enough. To an extent, this is a terrier thing, but as the responsible owner you clearly are, you step in, put the lead on and take him away when he starts. A moment of quiet, and he can go off the lead to play again IF the other dogs wants to, but if the other dog has had enough, distract yours with a toy or a sit-and-treat, then take him away. Let him offlead again when he is far enough away not to run back to the other dog, and throw a treat forwards so he runs after it as soon as he is offlead. But the other activities are part of the whole, because he still needs other stuff to do to occupy that smart terrier brain.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS