Excitable Dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

anon212

Excitable Dog

Post by anon212 »

I have an almost two year old Husky/lab mix. He usually gets short morning walk (10- 20 minutes) and a 30 minute walk in the afternoons along with about an hour playtime with our other dog (fetch, ball, wrestling, etc). I also leave kongs filled with their breakfast out during the day (sealed with PB or baby food and frozen over night) and feed them again during the evening. I feed them 4health.

My problem (one of many) that we are working on first and foremost is that he tends to get very excited whenever we get ready to go outside whether it is for a walk, playtime, or just potty break. He jumps all over, starts barking, and tries to grab the leash from me. When looking for a way to train him to calm down I came across a similar subject on this forum where it was suggested to follow Victoria's steps with the last one being if you run out of time to just put the leash up and the dog doesn't get a walk. My specific problem with this is that sometimes (in the mornings) if I cannot get the leash on fast enough he starts just peeing on my floor. I am at a loss as to what to do in these situations as I don't want to encourage his behavior by putting his leash on while he is acting up, but I also don't want him peeing on my floor. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Nettle

Re: Excitable Dog

Post by Nettle »

Use a gundog slip lead which just goes straight over his head. I assume you have to leash up before he goes out because you do not have a safe area to let him free. Practice leash on - leash off at times when he isn't desperate for a pee. You'd be dancing around if you were in a similar situation :lol:

He does need a lot more exercise than you are giving him, so not walking at all is not an option in this case.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
RangerBeaut

Re: Excitable Dog

Post by RangerBeaut »

I have a 2.5 year old lab and he wasn't as excited as your dog but what helped us the most is anytime we got ready for a walk or play time we would be near the door and if he started going nuts when putting on the leash i would walk away and sit down away from him with the leash. i didnt get up until he settled down (we waited for a sit or a lay on his own - not telling him to do so) once he was sitting or laying down I called him over to me and put the leash on then went outside (when he was calm). Obviously this took a while to do but once he started to catch on - he got it. I know this isnt ideal for the morning when you take him out to pee but maybe start trying it when he doesn't have to go out. I am assuming you dont have a fenced in yard or have the capability of letting out without a leash?