dog biting dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

samburket

dog biting dog

Post by samburket »

My friend is walking with her dog on a leash. I have two on a leash. A loose dog is roaming the street and comes to us. I pull my dogs away to avoid contact (one of mine is always friendly, one is sometimes friendly). My friend's dog bites loose dog and won't let go, won't let go, won't let go.

What should we have done? Because my screaming (hoping loose dog owner would come outside) and her pulling and tugging did not work.

(Phone call to dog enforcement only got a vacation message - less than helpful)

We were all on front clip harnesses today. Biting dog wriggled out of hers (how?) then bit my friend in her frenzy. I did not want to approach and add two more dogs to the fight.

Amazingly the loose dog had a small wound on his ear, but mostly appeared unharmed. Is this a misguided play for the biting dog - does she mean to attack or could this be play gone wrong? When she bit my dog a few weeks ago, they had been playing tug and chase nicely until bite. No lip curl, snarl,raised hackles, woof, etc.
Nettle

Re: dog biting dog

Post by Nettle »

This is not play.

If there is a dog roaming loose, you must for your dogs' safety walk them somewhere else until it has been dealt with.

You did well to keep yours out of the melee.

If your friend has managed to fix the harness so her dog can't wiggle out, you can carry on walking with her, but if it is likely to happen again, either walk on your own or persuade her to walk her dog off two leads - one on the harness and one on the collar.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
samburket

Post by samburket »

Grr. My friend had another dog, knowing the birth situation. The mama dog people wanted their dogs to be mean, to be guard dogs. Her dog was put down before two years old because he bit too many people. She had taken every advice she could to teach the dog manners.

This dog was from the humane society and had been a stray, so the background is not known. They classify her as a pit bull type. When ours were off leash, after a nice bit of play, she turned on my dogs. Since then when walking I make sure my dogs can move away if needed. If loose, she comes after mine. I really hoped that the dog just hadn't learned how to play nicely with others.

What are signs that a dog has been taught to fight? is this something that can be overcome? My friend is wondering, with two dogs being mean, if she is doing something wrong. As far as I can see, we both play with our dogs, walk our dogs, etc. Is there some cue that tells a dog to attack another? That she is doing unknowingly? The biting dog is persistant. I have tried to body block and she goes around. She doesn't mind people, just animals. The other day a child ran by and petted her as he went. She cringed a little like she didn't like it, but did not snap or growl at the boy. (Her first dog was opposite, never mean to dogs, but snapped at people.)

I am all for adoption, but of our two dogs, the chocolate lab from a breeder is a wonderful companion. The adopted stray mix is sometimes nice and sometimes not. I have to constantly watch while walking to make sure we don't get near anyone. Once she knows a new dog or person, she's fine, but she's not immediately friends like the lab.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Sometimes even well-adjusted front clips are easily escaped by dogs. Clipping the leash to the collar and front clip usually fixes this, as the dog slips out of the harness when the chest strap sags down and they get a leg through it. Backwards tension on the leash then pulls the whole contraption back along the dog's body and they just have to step their back feet out.

Nettle is right - avoidance is the best way to deal with this. See a loose dog, avoid avoid avoid. No matter how friendly your dog is, you can not know what the loose dog is like!

It's very difficult to break up a dog fight safely. At the very least, never try to grab the dog near the shoulders/neck/etc. I've heard people recommend looping a leash around one dog's waist, tying it to something, then looping another leash around second dog's waist to drag the second dog away, keeping your hands well out of reach. Dogs in a fight aren't thinking about what they're biting.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
samburket

Post by samburket »

My problem with my harnesses is that when they stand, the harness fits snuggly. But while walking, the front is looser because their body shape changes. But I won't go back to the strangling collar.

In this case the loose dog was very friendly - too friendly as he walked right into the biter.

I waited a bit, watching him roam back and forth across the street. I tried to alert drivers. Eventually a man got out of a car and took him to clean his ear and give him food and water. Hopefully a vet read his chip and he has been reunited with his family.