Seeking advice. My once friendly dog became aggressive after being attacked

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Priskies

Seeking advice. My once friendly dog became aggressive after being attacked

Post by Priskies »

Hey there,

Trying to figure out what to do with my dog now. He's a 3,5 year old labrador that used to be super friendly and playful with other dogs. Never really bothered much being possessive, territorial or aggressive. He was just in it for the fun. About 3 months ago he was badly hurt by another dog in a dog park. The other dog gave no warning. Simply approached and locked his jaws on his throat and wouldn't let go for quite a while. Zé (my dog) was pretty hurt, and is now super suspicious of other dogs. I used to take him daily to the dog park, but now I can only take him there if there are no other dogs around. He gets very tense around them and very quickly becomes aggressive. For now, mostly posing, growling, barking and chasing. He hasn't hurt anyone, but that might be because I immediately leash him and walk away when this starts. Is there anyway I can get him back to his happy place? He is devastated anytime we can't go in the park because there are other dogs already there. And I miss just being able to play with him and watch him play with other dogs in this leash-free area without having to walk away anytime anyone else comes in, or worry that he might attack and traumatize another dog. Is there hope?

Thanks for any advice you guys might have
samburket

Re: Seeking advice. My once friendly dog became aggressive after being attacked

Post by samburket »

My goodness, that must have been awful for both you and your pup. Has the attacking dog been banned from the dog park?

I am not a trainer. I am a cat person trying to learn about dogs. Does your dog have any dogs with which he is still comfortable? If so, perhaps he could be in the dog park with them to get him feeling like is a fun place again? Or is he leary of all others? I'm trying to get my dog used to other dogs by walking with them - at first not close enough for any contact. But walking together they end up getting to know each other.