Bullying

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ksrgriff22335

Bullying

Post by Ksrgriff22335 »

Hello,
I'm in need of some training advice please. I have an 8 month old 46kg, American bulldog, who is the soppiest dog I know, he's got a heart of gold and is amazing with my children. BUT, over the last couple of months he has started being quite a bully with other dogs. Barging them over, standing over them, growling. At first it was just with other intact males, but he was attacked on Friday and since then, he's done this dogs he knows and doesn't know, in fact I can't see a pattern.

So, firstly, should I neuter him?

Secondly, how do I deal with this when is happening? Generally all the calling in the world or treats dont make a difference.

Please help!
JudyN

Re: Bullying

Post by JudyN »

Neutering him so young would be a bad idea - he needs the testosterone to help him develop into a confident adult male, and a confident dog doesn't need to prove how macho he is by duffing up other dogs (there may be a degree of anthropomorphism there but it fits what I see in my dog).

My dog used to do this too - like yours, at first with unneutered males and then with other dogs. Almost always young males, but occasionally females. He particularly didn't like dogs like boxers, or any dog who had a confident swagger - I sometimes joke that he doesn't like 'handsome' dogs :lol: But he would occasionally pick on smaller dogs like spaniels because they roll over easily and shriek a lot :roll:

You need to keep him on lead so he's under control unless you can see there are no other dogs within range. The more he practises this behaviour, the more he'll get a taste for it and apart from that, it could be very damaging, physically and/or mentally, for the other dog. Keep him at a distance he's comfortable with from other dogs and give him a treat when he sees another dog. Eventually he will learn that other dogs mean he can focus on you and get a reward.

Possibly you could walk him at different times or in different places to make walks more relaxing and enjoyable and so he can get some off-lead time.

Don't expect too much too soon - he has a lengthy adolescence ahead of him and I had to carefully 'manage' my dog till he was at least three (and still get him back on lead if I see a 'handsome' dog to be on the safe side), but maturity will help a lot!

Obviously, the better recall you can get, the sooner you'll be able to call him back from another dog before he's past the point of no return. Again, it'll be a work in progress for some time to come.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ksrgriff22335

Post by Ksrgriff22335 »

Thanks very much for your reply, I have already started putting him back on his lead when I see unfamiliar dogs, and treating him to keep his attention on me, although sometimes dogs do run up to us and catch me by surprise. How do I then deal with him, once he's already bullying the other poor pup? I've been putting his lead on and dragging him off, is this right?
He only seems to behave like this when we go to the dog park, he's generally well behaved when we go to other places, so I think I'll have to keep clear of the park and 'handsome dogs' for now :wink:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Ksrgriff22335 wrote:I've been putting his lead on and dragging him off, is this right?
I think you just need to do whatever gets him away from the other dog soonest. With my dog it was best to run off, calling him, as he's a mummy's boy who hates to be left, and if I tried to wade in and remove him he'd get more worked up, but this may well not work for your dog. Yes, absolutely avoid the dog park if you have other places that work better.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

I wouldn't advise dragging him away.... if possible, I would rather get between the 2 dogs and push him along, while breaking the eye contact between them. Dragging him away may make him more reactive.

In any case, agree totally that prevention is the key. I had the same problem with my boy when he was growing up. At the darkest period I had to walk him at 5 am to avoid other dogs. That helped - not seeing any dogs for a couple of months, it was a reset of sorts for him.

Hang in there, it will pass.