Recall, dog play and a rascally Samoyed

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Jesster

Recall, dog play and a rascally Samoyed

Post by Jesster »

Hi guys!

Ive got a male Samoyed at 8 months old. I'd love to get to training classes for help but there aren't any near me, so youtube and the internet is all I have!

Ive tried so hard on recall but its still rubbish and I don't know what Im doing wrong. Maybe expecting too much from my pupper? Anyway his recall is okay in a non distracting environment but bad outside with distractions. The problem is he really doesn't care too much about food or toys or even fetch. He'll play a bit of tug so I tried using that as an excellent recall reward, but outside he doesn't care about it. I need to figure out how to be more interesting and rewarding.

His main thing is other dogs. He loves em! Does everything in his power to go and play with them! So much so that he'll bolt off to play with any dog he sees. If I have him on lead he'll cry and whine and bark if he doesn't get to play with one he's spotted. If you know sammies, thats a pericing bark.

I'm competing with his favourite thing in the world, other dogs. And, to make matters worse there isn't anywhere I can walk him where there won't be other doggos. Id have to walk him at night to do so (which Ive started doing to try training) Obviously I love for him to be able to play but only at the right time.

Any advice would be great! Ive been working hard but maybe not hard enough or not correctly so I need a bit of guidance.

Things I do: since he was ignoring recall word, for now I've stopped using it as I've just been inadvertently training him to ignore me.
Ive been rewarding when he looks at me to get his focus on me! But he doesn't care to much about the rewards I've been giving.

Things I don't do: call him to do a thing he doesn't like. Call him and put his lead on to go home immediately.
JudyN

Re: Recall, dog play and a rascally Samoyed

Post by JudyN »

I'm not an expert, but given his age, I doubt you're doing anything wrong - he's still a pup, and heading into adolescence, so will be testing boundaries and be headstrong and determined. Even dogs who previously had good recall can seemingly forget everything they've been trained to do at this age!

Have you tried really high value treats, e.g. sausage, bits of raw beef, cheese, liver pate, roast chicken, salmon cake... there might be something that will really get his attention. It probably still won't be as exciting as playing with other dogs, but if you can use it (or the tug toy if that's more effective) to train when there's no one around, he could begin to get the message. The more you can work on this when there aren't other dog around the better - is there anywhere you could take him on a long training lead away from other dogs, even if it's a friend's garden or a really quiet road?

One game that some dogs find very rewarding is to sniff for treats - the hunting element makes it more rewarding than the treat on its own would be. So, again when you're on your own, throw a treat into long grass and ask him to 'find it' (you could teach 'find it' in the garden at home). Encourage sniffing in general - it gives him something interesting to do on a walk other than playing with other dogs.

But don't expect brilliant recall for a good while yet as he's still got a lot of growing up to do!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
roycov

Post by roycov »

One question is: how long have you been doing what you've been doing? From what I've read here you one key is to just be patient and consistent.
Jesster

Post by Jesster »

Thanks fot the tips. You're right, he's only a pupper so I can't be expecting too much. As long as its fairly normal for this age I suppose I can rest a bit more easily.

I've actually tried the hunting for treats game but he's so disinterested n treats while on a walk. When he's right by me he'll take a treat but only reluctantly. I've tried everything. seriously. Chicken, cheese, beef, pork 4 different kinds of dog biscuits/treats. I've tried a ball and tug as a reward and he just doesn't focus on it at all.

Ive been trying to hone his recall since ive got him, but now that he's a teen and its much worse I've been trying new techniques