I'm adopting a 5 month old puppy! His first night

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

belgianbun

I'm adopting a 5 month old puppy! His first night

Post by belgianbun »

Hi guys, I'm Anya and live in the Uk. I have adopted a 5 month old puppy from the local dog trust and he will come to me on Thursday. It is all happening very quickly as I only saw him on Sunday. Been checking out Victoria's videos and I have her books as well but I'm worried about his first night. I am getting a crate and a play pen to start off with. As he only came to the rescue centre on Friday he will once again have to change his environment and adapt to his new one. Any tips on the best way to do this please? I want to make sure I do everything correctly. Many thanks, Anya :)
Erica

Re: I'm adopting a 5 month old puppy! His first night

Post by Erica »

Oh congrats :)

I would suggest being ready to sleep next to him - either on the couch or have him in your room (probably in the crate if he likes it or the play pen if he's not happy about the crate). Having you near him should help him feel safe. Make sure to be prepared to act as if he had no potty training, as many dogs don't automatically transfer it from one place to another. Take him out often during the day and reward him for outside potties! :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
roycov

Post by roycov »

Erica wrote:Oh congrats :)

I would suggest being ready to sleep next to him - either on the couch or have him in your room (probably in the crate if he likes it or the play pen if he's not happy about the crate). Having you near him should help him feel safe. Make sure to be prepared to act as if he had no potty training, as many dogs don't automatically transfer it from one place to another. Take him out often during the day and reward him for outside potties! :)
Agree with this suggestion. On his first night expect him to be crying all night long. :o
belgianbun

Post by belgianbun »

Hey guys,

I didn't get any notifications that there were a couple of replies, so sorry about that.
so, I have now had Louie for 4 weeks and he is amazing! Never cried on his first night. I put the crate in my bedroom for the first few weeks and never locked him in there unless it was to hoover as he tries to eat it, haha! I thought him to not jump on the bed, get in his bed, give one paw, the other, give TWO paws and to lay down. He is a very chilled out boy and very clever. But as I already knew, he hoovers everything off of the street. I've checked out some of the other forums and it doesn't look like there is much I can do about this. I wonder how people who train guide dogs do this? Is it something they grow out of? Would love to see Victoria do a feature about this :D