Whippet play

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Brechfa

Whippet play

Post by Brechfa »

I have two rescue whippets. When they play they do this neck grabbing thing, very soft mouths and don't hurt one another. Thing is it's how Maisie always wants to play with all dogs, she stops, does a play now and then grabs their neck. She's never hurt a single dog ( her walking friends are two chihuahuas who climb all over her)but it disconcerting other dog owners. On the sighthound pages on Facebook people say this is normal whippet play but is there any way I can stop her doing it because otherwise I'll have to put a racing muzzle on her so that she doesn't get wrongly accused. Thanks
JudyN

Re: Whippet play

Post by JudyN »

I saw a lurcher (not mine) and a basset hound, who were best mates, doing this this morning, it was really funny :lol: As you say though, other owners do sometimes get the wrong impression. I would aim at only allowing 'managed' introductions with other dogs - call her back to you when you see another dog, reward her and put her on lead, and chat to the other owner about how she plays before letting her off (and, obviously, don't let her play if the other owner is unsure). Also work on a good recall so you can call her away if she does start this.

That's a lot easier said than done of course, so you'll need to work on these skills. It might make life easier if you can walk them somewhere you're less likely to bump into other people.

I doubt it's possible to change the way she plays, particularly as she and her pal enjoy playing this way - I'll be interested to see what the experts have to say though.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Re: Whippet play

Post by Nettle »

The muzzle might do more damage than the soft mouthing. I wouldn't put her in one.

This is the sighthound play style, and as you say, very disconcerting for some owners. Therefore I would always mention it and make sure the other owner is okay with it before she is allowed to run with other dogs.

I don't let my sighthound type dogs play with dogs like labradors and boxers, whose play style is body-slamming, or GSDs whose play style is run in, drive and nip. Just as with children, we choose their play partners.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS