Exuberant Lab Puppy

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ThePoshCat

Exuberant Lab Puppy

Post by ThePoshCat »

I'm not sure if this is the correct section to post, but here goes.

We have a 4.5 month black Labrador ***** called Willow. She likes to play with other dogs if they will play, as puppies do.

We went to my uncle's house last weekend, he now has a male 5 month cocker spaniel puppy, Ronnie.

As soon as we got there they both ran around on the lawn and then Willow began to wrestle with Ronnie, and then sat on him.

This continued for a few minutes, and before they could find their place my uncle pulled them apart.

This continued all weekend, they would be fine, then Willow would jump on Ronnie, inside and out, and we would pull them apart, often putting Willow on the lead whilst Ronnie was allowed to wander around, often coming up to Willow and antagonising her.

Ronnie certainly didn't like being sat on, but he wagged his tail at all other times.

The question is, should we have just let them sort themselves out, as we believe would have happened eventually, or was splitting them up the only option.

Willow is a well behaved puppy, she quickly works out when a dog doesn't want to play and leaves them alone, why was this different?

Thanks for any comments.