Dogs had a fight, now won't play...

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

nikoba

Dogs had a fight, now won't play...

Post by nikoba »

I'm new to the multi dog household and could really use some advice. I have a bossy 3 year old female Boston, Gertie. I took in a 2 year old male puppymill rescue Boston, Gus. For the first few days they were awesome, sharing toys/bones, playing chase & tug. About 4 days into him being here, they had a scuffle over a toy. Kind of intense, but no broken skin...broke up fairly easy.

That was about two weeks ago...there hasn't been another argument or tension. We walk all together twice a day, they sniff things out together, lay on the couch/floor near each other...but Gus now seems afraid to engage in play. Gertie will shake a tug toy inviting play, or play bow near him, and he avoids her. They'll have a little stint of playing chase in the yard, but Gus soon retreats.

From what I can tell, Gertie's body language is appropriate. Is it just a matter of time before they are playmates & Gus is just adjusting... or has the earlier tiff tainted their relationship? I'm trying not to stress or force anything between them, but I would love it if they would naturally find their way together again.
Ari_RR

Re: Dogs had a fight, now won't play...

Post by Ari_RR »

But their naturally found way together may not include playing much together, if at all. Peaceful coexistence may well be it.

Who's to say that either one of them needed a playmate in the first place... They both may be naturally inclined to be the only dog, in which case peaceful coexistence is a good as it gets.

Or maybe they need more time, 2 weeks is not that long.

In any event, my 2 cents - I would be doing what you are doing, not trying to force anything... My only advice - keep in mind that your idea of dog/dog happiness (playing together, cuddling, sharing things, etc) may differ from theirs :wink:
Nettle

Re: Dogs had a fight, now won't play...

Post by Nettle »

Wise words.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS