Ideas for Socializing Dogs

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

TheBealge

Ideas for Socializing Dogs

Post by TheBealge »

Hello. Remi and Athena bark at other dogs territorially, as well as excitedly on walks. The territorial barking is deep and low w/ growling, and the walk barking is frantic w/ lots of pulling and some whining. Remi is a beagle/pug/basset hound/Pembroke welsh corgi mix (we got him DNA tested, and all of it except the pug seems spot on :) ). Athena is an Australian shepherd/Doberman/Rottweiler mix (Athena looks like a mini, skinny Rottweiler and her mom looked a little like an Australian shepherd). We have a large, fenced in yard and the dogs get walks most days.
I was recently reading about socializing dogs, and I learned that if you stop socializing dogs after puppyhood, they can develop territorial problems. I think that the barking problems may be cause by a lack of dog to dog socialization. We did enroll in a dog obedience class, but that is over now. In the class, dogs were not allowed to meet each other. Other than that class, Remi and
Athena don't get much dog to dog socialization (occasionally, the neighbor's dog goes outside when one of our dogs are outside, and they play along the fence line). Is proper socialization allowing the dogs to meet friendly and stable dogs? How do you socialize your dogs? I don't know anybody who is willing to go on walks with our dogs or let the dogs greet each other. The dog park is not the best idea because or dogs play very roughly and also have had some bad experiences with mean dogs. :(
Thank you for reading! :D
When I signed up, I typed my username in too quickly. I wanted it to be TheBeagle. :lol:
Corgies, beagles, and bassets rock! 8)
Nettle

Re: Ideas for Socializing Dogs

Post by Nettle »

Territorial behaviour is natural in all species (park in someone else's space for a demonstration of human territorial behaviour)!

You do not need to try and make your dogs friends with every dog they meet. Ignoring other dogs is fine. They are not missing a wonderful party time.

For walk barking: you are passing the other dogs too close. When you see another dog, get between it and yours and walk smartly past. Ignore any reacting. Reward your dogs when calm.

I'm sorry I can't answer in more detail but the stupid board keeps timing out and I haven't time to fight with it. However if you trawl through our pinned posts in the Articles section, you will find a lot more to help you :) and if you do a Search on leash reactivity, a lot more. I'm sorry the board is such a pain to do searches on too. Stay with us and we'll help as much as we can.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS