Help me please

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sarah1305

Help me please

Post by sarah1305 »

Hello!
I have a 1yr old Havanese named Bruno. He's a good dog and always eager to learn. I am fearing the possibilty if losing him if he doesnt change. I live with my parents and so I need training advice. I did the foundation of training with him from heel, sit, stay, come, leave and drop it, etc and so naturally he gravitates more towards me. If I take away toys or food, no growling. If I pick him up, no growling. If I approach or he approaches me to pet, no growls. Bruno and I get along great! When other family members do this, taking away or petting or picking him up he growls. He hasn't bitten but his growling escalates. He's bratty with them. He isnt allowed on furniture or upstairs. He is healthy and no issues. I need help so I dont lose him :(
Fundog

Re: Help me please

Post by Fundog »

Dogs don't like being picked up. It makes them fearful and anxious. The same with taking things away. The fact you can do this does not in any way mean you should. However, people with an extremely trusting relationship with their dogs are more likely to get away with this than others. Growing is communication, not a sign of brattiness. The dog is saying quite politely that he does not appreciate being picked up or having things taken from him. Why is he being picked up? If for cuddles, the best way is to sit down and invite him up on your lap. Why do you need to take stuff off him? The best way is swap him for something else he likes.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
sarah1305

Post by sarah1305 »

He growls when anyone is petting him. Somedays he wont growl and another days he growls. Even if he's invited he sometimes will growl. He needs to trust me and family for taking away things cause what if he gets a holdnof something dangerous inside or outside
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

That's easy. Someone else with this problem was advised also on another thread. If he growls, stop. Hands off. If he comes to you and appears to ask for pets, offer two strokes, then hands off, and wait. If he does something to ask for more, continue a minute then stop again. If he growls, hands off, that instant. If he seems content to just sit on your lap with no petting, then let it be so. The point is to let the dog know that his voice is indeed being heard, and people are listening. If dogs don't think anyone is listening when they growl, they will resort to biting in order to be heard. Once he feels that people are listening and respecting his feelings, he will become more comfortable and relaxed around everyone.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

And again with the taking things away: Always trade him for something higher value than what he's got. The more you do this, the easier it will be in an emergency.
sarah1305

Post by sarah1305 »

Okay I'll try that. I have worked around many dogs with my job before and know dogs that aren't all about the petting but love to play. My family needs to understand that he's content with just relaxing and coming up for petting if he wants. Thank you
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

ditto trading for stuff. Bax doesn't know drop it and isn't keen to let his favorite things go (under wear and socks are treasures to him) so i always trade. He drops what ever is in his mouth instantly for the sock. It's not the healthiest but we always leave the butter dish out so I'll take a quick swipe in the kitchen with my finger to trade him. works like a charm and he's gotten so he'll bring me the socks so i can trade instead of running off with them.
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Bear in mind the danger of him coming to harm through chewing/eating something is dangerous is less than the danger of him ending up being put down because he has bitten someone. Plus, he's more likely to swallow/run off with the item if he knows someone will try to take it off him. So as others have said, trade for something he likes better. Also work on 'drop' or 'swap' with very low value items, building up to things he's more likely to guard, with rewards that are better, in his mind, than what he has.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009