Authority

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

lisacarter89

Authority

Post by lisacarter89 »

Hi all.
I have a jack russell terrier who is almost 5 years old.
I think I have a problem with dominance. She has always been my dog since a puppy and she lives with me in my flat. However during the day when I'm at work, I take her to my mums so she isn't on her own all day.
At my mums, she is very well behaved and is fine when left alone if my mum needs to pop out.
However, when we are at my flat, she is a completely different dog. I can't leave her on her own as she barks constantly and howls until I come back. And she is always hot and panting when I return, so much so that I don't leave her very often and not for long.
I know this is not seperation anxiety otherwise she would be acting out at my mums too, right?
I have come to the conclusion that maybe it is a dominance issue since I tend to baby her a little. (Okay a lot) which I have come to realise was very wrong.
Is there a way to gain authority over her so she doesn't act out as much?
I hope someone can help, thanks, lisa
JudyN

Re: Authority

Post by JudyN »

No, it's not dominance - if you search for the term on this forum you'll see that that is a completely outdated concept. Separation anxiety can be very situational. I can leave my dog in daytime during the week, but at weekends it's harder for my OH and me to leave together (or even one at a time). He's getting better at that, and at evenings, which has been another tricky one - but we've just come back from visiting neighbours from 3pm to 6pm, not a time we normally go out, and apparently he was quite noisy even though my son was in and gave him his tea. So this is separation anxiety.

You had some good advice about this back in 2012: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14894&p=106194#p106194 Did you implement it, and how did you get on?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

No, it is NOT dominance. Yes, it IS separation anxiety. The reason she doesn't act out at your mother's is because she is not alone. Your mother is a familiar person and that makes her feel safe, even if you're not there. At your flat, she's all alone, and feels out of sorts and not safe.

Now tell us more about your dog's day. Does your mother take her out for walks? Does she have enrichment activities, games, and puzzles?
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
lisacarter89

Post by lisacarter89 »

I know I have asked on here before for help a few years ago. And whilst that was good advice, I cannot physically get out of the door for even a second before she is barking. I have tried and tried but nothing is working.
While she is at my mums, we can all go out and she is left completely alone and is still fine.
At my flat she barks and howls the entire time. Why is it she is fine being alone in one house but not in another? I would have thought that if it was seperation anxiety, she would act up any time she is left alone.
I give her a long walk in the morning before I go to work, my mum takes her for 2 or 3 walks during the day and I take her for another long walk when I get home about 6pm. We then go into the back garden and play fetch for a good 20 minutes until she is worn out. I do leave a Kong out for her sometimes but she is very fussy with food and only really eats when she's hungry which is usually through the night.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Quite possibly it's a lot noisier in your flat. People coming and going, noise from all around, footsteps and voices. I'm always on edge in flats.

I'm concerned that you contacted us all that time ago and are still thinking on dominance lines. Do you do anything with her based on those ideas? When you say you baby her, what do you actually do?

The more information we have, the more we can help.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS