Growling Spaniel

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

norwichdogtrainer

Growling Spaniel

Post by norwichdogtrainer »

I have a client with a black cocker spaniel cross, she has just turned 2 years old and over the last month or so has started growling when being stroked and showing her teeth. Her lips flutter in a vibrissae wave and the growl is a low rumble. She is not a resource guarder, nor does she suffer from separation anxiety, she is not an attention seeker, in fact she is selective about affection, and has lately become stand offish. She does occasionally 'smile' at family and visitors, showing her teeth but not growling. She has never bitten or snapped at anyone, so I do not suspect 'Spaniel Rage'. It could be hyperthyroidism? Has anyone got any ideas or seen this behaviour before? Suggestions please.
JudyN

Re: Growling Spaniel

Post by JudyN »

I think the first step would be to get her a full vet check, including blood works. There could be something causing her pain. In the meantime, the owners should respect her feelings and stop petting her the moment she tells them she doesn't like it.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Also explore the exact circumstances of the petting - where in the home, where on the dog and so on. Could be the area is contentious e.g. the dog's bed or near a hidden toy, could be the petting method is disliked by the dog. Might be heavy-handed grooming. Another 'need to know' includes if she has always enjoyed touch, or just tolerated it.

Is she entire? If just after her season, could be false pregnancy.

But definitely a health check is the first thing to do. For instance, if she has a painful ear or tooth, she isn't going to like her head touched.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
norwichdogtrainer

Post by norwichdogtrainer »

She's had a full vet check (but not Thyroid) all ok. Not a resource guarder, toys food etc, any part of the body sets her off, but not immediately. She will tolerate stroking for a while and then start to growl and show teeth.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Then the stroking should be stopped before she gets to that stage. If it were my client, I'd say NO stroking for a week, then after that only stroke the dog when she comes over and asks to be stroked, and then only on non-contentious areas like chest or sides. No head touching. Stop after two strokes. If the dog wants more let her ask for it, then only two strokes again.

I wonder if the client is 'taking' stroking rather than 'giving' it? That is, doing it for her own gratification and comfort rather than because the dog wants it. None of us would want to be touched on that basis either.

And the thyroid panel is very important. She does need to have this checked.

Have you seen the client stroke the dog? Does the client drink/ smoke/use substances/ have any kind of nervous issue? All of these can frighten a dog and make it not want to be touched. NB WE don't want to know this very personal stuff, but you need to know it as well as see dog and client together with some typical stroking scenes.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS