Body language meaning

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

carrie_02

Body language meaning

Post by carrie_02 »

Hello. When I take my new dog for a walk, rather than wagging her tail, it hangs down and then sticks out backwards. Full description: it sticks out a tiny bit from her body, then hangs downwards, so most of her tail is pointing down, and then the end of her tail points outward again, pretty much parallel to the ground. It is kind of like an s-shape.
I was going to include a picture off my phone but I couldn't figure out how.
My dog has done this every time I've taken her for a walk, pretty much the whole time. What do you think this tail shape means? Does she sound anxious? Thanks!
Erica

Re: Body language meaning

Post by Erica »

It really depends on the kind of dog - that shape would be normal for, say, a greyhound, but in a husky might indicate anxiety or unease. Body language is difficult to discern from one feature on its own - the whole picture is important.

Does she walk stiffly? That might be a sign of unease. If, however, she walks with a loose, free stride she probably feels pretty good.
Is her face tense? Could indicate unease. A relaxed face is a good indicator of a fairly relaxed dog.

There are many many factors. Do you feel like she is uneasy or is it just the tail that is concerning?
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Does she hold it differently when she's moving around the house?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
carrie_02

Post by carrie_02 »

Thank you for your replies, Judy and Erica! :)
Yes, when she is around the house it is usually higher up, at least level with her body, sometimes wagging.
And she is a dachshund.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sounds normal for a dachshund :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
carrie_02

Post by carrie_02 »

Nettle wrote:Sounds normal for a dachshund :)
Thank you. Makes me feel better. Maybe she is concentrating on walking because we usually go quickly unless we're in my yard or a friend's yard which is fenced in and she can walk free.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

My dog doesn't generally wag his tail on walks - he does if he meets someone he knows or likes, or occasionally as a communication to me (sort of a 'please' or a 'thank you' I think), but not otherwise. I've noticed some breeds do tend to wag a lot more - gundogs, now I come to think about it.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

JudyN wrote:My dog doesn't generally wag his tail on walks - he does if he meets someone he knows or likes, or occasionally as a communication to me (sort of a 'please' or a 'thank you' I think), but not otherwise. I've noticed some breeds do tend to wag a lot more - gundogs, now I come to think about it.
Lol, yep. My girls hold tails up high, swishing non-stop on walks.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Dachshunds find it difficult to balance because they have been bred to the point of a really unnatural shape (working dachsies are much shorter in the back and longer in the leg). So she has to hold her tail like that or she'll fall over.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
carrie_02

Post by carrie_02 »

Nettle wrote:Dachshunds find it difficult to balance because they have been bred to the point of a really unnatural shape (working dachsies are much shorter in the back and longer in the leg). So she has to hold her tail like that or she'll fall over.
Interesting (and kind of sad)!