Leash reactive

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

4paws

Leash reactive

Post by 4paws »

Hi all,
When a dog is on a lead and lunges and barks at every dog that he sees, is it normally a fear based problem like fear aggression. The bark is an aggressive bark and the dog gets really worked up. After the dogs have passed the dog spins round towards the other dog and continues barking. This happens even if other dogs are calm and of no threat to the barking dog.
I would appreciate your opinions.
Nettle

Re: Leash reactive

Post by Nettle »

I'll ask for this to be moved to the right section of the forum, where more people will see it. :)

Leash reactivity is mostly fear/frustration based. That is why we advise creating space between the on-leash dog and whatever it reacts to. That is the beginning of changing the behaviour, but it cannot be changed all the while the dog is too close.

WE may think the other dog has done nothing, but your dog knows otherwise - dog body-language is fast and subtle. If your dog can't get away from the other dog, it can only try to drive the other dog out of its space. That is why we have to create the space instead.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
4paws

Re: Leash reactive

Post by 4paws »

Thanks very much Nettle for your feedback I appreciate your advice